First Birthday

• 12 replies
  • 15 subscribers

Exactly one year ago today at 4pm I had my bone marrow transplant. It was bone marrow rather than stem cells from a 31 year old American. Its been quite a hard journey but definitely well worth it as today I am feeling quite well,dare I say it almost normal.I still have a few niggles mostly skin but I am off all medication and hopefully returning to work at some point in the next few months.

Thanks for all your advice everyone and to those starting this journey it is difficult but well worth it.

Mark

• Well done Mark, a truly momentous landmark! Enjoy your new birthday!

• Happy first birthday Mark Birthday

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Happy Birthday Mark. I’m not far behind you. 
    Regards

Mark

• Happy Re-Birthday Mark! Hope you’ve had a celebratory tipple?! 

hugs xxx

Moomy

• Hope you had a good day!

Paul

What is a Community Champion?

You can speak to someone in confidence by calling Macmillan Support on 0808 808 0000 - 365 days a year 8am to 8pm It's free from mobiles and landlines. The friendly team are waiting to take your call.

• Congratulations. Enjoying a little sun here (with factor 50 on of course) aching from G-CSF injections and about to start stem cell harvest tomorrow. Good to hear you are doing well and a little boost of positive vibes for me.

All the best and heres to many more anniversaries!

Mike

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Whatcanyoudo

Best of luck tomorrow take plenty to read I believe cell harvesting is a long process hard on your backside too amazing the way the machine separates the cells.

Good Luck Anthony C

• Hi Mike I hope all goes well.

My brother said ".....and you gave me a 'pain' in the backside having me do this...." I also promised him £1 for every Stem Cell have gave me!!!!!..... that's when I had no idea how this works........ I have still about £9999999 to give him :) 

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Mike, 

Harvesting of the cells is uncomfortable but not painful. You might be better taking in an audio book or music to listen to as once the needles went in I had to keep my arms straight so turning a page would be a problem. I would wear comfy clothes if not shorts as it gets a bit warm also. Remember to visit the bathroom just before as when the start you’re stuck to the machine. 
    Good luck.

Regards

Mark

• Thanks All,

All went well on the stem cell harvest. Was just uncomfortable on the bum and not being allowed to move right arm! Was able to relax early on as blood test showed a good mobilisation of stem cells into the blood. I was then hooked up and the machine whirred for about 4 hours and a bag of gunk (sort of straw / red coloured) was boxed and taken away to be counted. About an hour later they confirmed they had enough and I was sent away.  Before going I did ask that the 'bag' had been correctly labelled before going into the chest freezer.  Was obviously pleased they collected what needed but also that I did not need a second day.

So now I have the kidney test next Tuesday which I have had before.  However, the kidneys moaned about the cisplatin I had to get me back in remission so they want to check again. Have been drinking 3 litres a day of water so fingers crossed they are up for another hit.

UCL very vague about when the actual SCT might take place in current covid situation as was told all depends on availability of ICU beds as they need these to be ready as 10% of patients need one.  I guess they want to move fairly quickly whilst they have me in remission.

Anyway, feel well and the sun is out so plan on taking some relaxation and enjoying the five days off!

Best wishes to All,

Mike