Relapsed , what’s next?

• 4 replies
  • 11 subscribers

Hi guys 

My fiancé aged 25 was diagnosed by acute lymphoblastic Leukemia (T cell) in June 2018. He went through the treatment including bone marrow transplantation which was done in December 2018.
He was under remission. Everything was going very smoothly and as we prayed.

Unfortunately he got relapsed exactly after a year I.e on December 2019. The major reason for relapse was severe thrombocytopenia. His platelets count went on decreasing , it came upto 7000. He is under treatment now . Chemotherapy has started again , which is been given twice a week . After the therapy started his platelets count boosted up to 61k . And again it’s been decreased cuz of chemo . Docs suggested for platelets Transfusion . Which he got it done today . Can he again get into remission before or after second bone marrow transplant ?

Anyone who dealt with same case ?

please reply . Looking for a positive ray of hope here. Also please pray for his speediest recovery :) 

Thank you .

• Hi and welcome across to this corner of the Community and I see that you have been talking with my friend Paul.

I had a rare type of Cutaneous T Cell Lymphoma (Skin Lymphoma) and have been through two Allo Stem Cell Transplants with cells from my brother.

The first SCT was June 2014 and by December 2014 it had failed so went back for a second go in October 2015 and eventually found remission for the first time in 16 years......... so there is always hope.

It is worth noting that I was not in remission going into both my SCTs as my condition was very difficult to get into remission. The plan was always two SCTs looking for the first one to work and not put me through strong treatment. But the conditioning used (chemo and 30 radiotherapy sessions) for my second SCT was very strong and did the job but my recovery took a number of years - hit our forum names to see our treatment stories.

Lets look for his team to move this in a positive direction.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hi picking this up from the ALL forum  where first posted and we have had a short conversation..

latest reply from Chashni was..

"Hi Paul1969 He has got Bone marrow transplantation done .His younger sibling was the donor . Her stem cells were taken from blood. Isn’t stem cell transplantation and bone marrow transplantation one and the same ? With two diff names . Google says relapsed survival rates are 5% only in adults .."

Regarding the transplant the result is the same but procedures are very different. Bone marrow transplants  mean that literally the bone marrow is transplanted into the patient. Stem cell transplant is where the stem cells are given to the patient and these then engraft and then develop into bone marrow.. Stem cells are more common so this is the right forum for you!

Firstly don't use Dr Google as everyone's situation is different and the data they are using is historical and could be based on long term statistics of 20 years or more! i.e someone in your boyfriends position 20 years ago is likely to have a very different outcome today.  Things have moved on and there are options available.. Lets see who comes along who has had two stem cell transplants and see what information they can give you. 

Paul

What is a Community Champion?

You can speak to someone in confidence by calling Macmillan Support on 0808 808 0000 - 365 days a year 8am to 8pm It's free from mobiles and landlines. The friendly team are waiting to take your call.

• Thank you so much for letting me know the difference between BMT and SCT . 
    I won’t ask anything to Dr.google from now on . 
    I read your story , it is very inspiring for all of us .

My boyfriend is under VRC chemo now . 4weeks therapy , twice a week . He is already dealing with few side effects of chemo . Major one being body ache ,mood swings and constipation.

• Hi ,

Thank you so much for replying .

Glad to hear you are under remission period and Your cancer journey is very inspiring , god bless you with good health . My boy friend has dealt with radiation therapy as well during his initial treatment when he had got diagnosed. There were a lot of side effects, major one being dryness and his skin tone had turned very dark .  
    He has started his chemo this month after getting relapsed . 
    I hope and wish he gets into remission as soon as possible . 

Thank you .