Stem cell collection.

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 8 replies
  • 12 subscribers

Hi all ,

Happy New year to you !

Im currently on my last day in Kings hospital London after having my Stem Cell Transplant on the 19December . Not going to lie it was really tough but hopefully all worth it.

For anyone currently going to have this treatment I found ice pops were so soothing for the mucusitis ( sore mouth ) flavoured squashes as I found water on its own had salty taste , chewing gum , water melon , soups and soft foods . 
I found the Imodium instants worked better to stop the diarrhoea than what the hospital gave me plus they just dissolve on your tongue and not yet another tablet to take .
I’m still very tired and a bit weak but will just take each day as it comes .
Please feel free to ask any questions would love to be able to help .
Regards

Julie  

• Hi Julie and Happy New Year to you.

Well done getting through this part of the Rollercoster and good that the ice pops did the job.

You are now entering the post SCT recovery stage but one day at a time is a good starting point.

You may want to have a look at and indeed add to our ongoing Life after a SCT - A Survivor's Guide thread.

((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Julie,

you’ve done well, an auto is hard work! Allow yourself time to recover, oddly taking a bit of exercise like a short walk helps fatigue (I know it sounds counter intuitive but it really does help!) the walks should be circular in case at any point you really feel you’ve had enough you can cut back home easily.

hooe its all helped and you stay in a remission now.

hugs xxx

Moomy

• Hi Julie 

The marvellous Kings. My son was being treated there for 4 weeks from 25 August they were incredible. He continues his treatment back here in Wales.  He is due for his transplant start of February fingers crossed. 

Sending you my love 

Hayley

Hayley 
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to moomy

Thank you Moomy,

I’m going to try a walk round my garden today , I’m finding I’m suffering with dizzy spells when I get up and as I have completely passed out with this before I’m obviously nervous of this . 
    I hope you are well. Xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Cyprusfan

Hi Hayley,

I do agree the treatment is remarkable, although as often the case these days the staff are so overworked that these standard of care was not what it should be . 
    I wish your son all the best with his upcoming treatment. Xx

• Hi again, , 

that sounds a bit like a low blood pressure, I hope you stand slowly and stay holding onto something for a few seconds before you try to move? 

take care!

hugs xxx

Moomy

• Hi

My son was on the Elf & Libra ward under doctor Piers Paten. 

Hayley

Hayley 
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to moomy

Hi Moomy,

yes it is I suffer with it terribly I have to try and drink as much as possible still struggling to find something I really like !!

xxx