Living Alone with Cancer

• 40 replies
  • 6 subscribers

hi all,

On behalf of Macmillan I have volunteered to try and collate some information on the particular issues we face dealing with Cancer whilst living alone. This will also help establish whether there is sufficient interest in the topic to create a new group on the site, a suggestion made by some of our members.

so I am asking you all if you are living alone with cancer what topics you would like to see covered?

What issues have you faced?  Both practical and emotional.

What worries do you have about the future?

have you found solutions to any of your problems?

would you be interested in an additional board (I know many of you have answered this question already, but I'm asking again in case there is anyone new here).

anything else at all you would like to contribute?

if anyone would prefer to send me information in private please and a friend request and then you can PM me.

I plan to collate the topics, see what answers I can find where there are practical problems, and then create a new blog to raise the profile of the topic for us all.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

I live alone and would appreciate such a group - was diagnosed with prostate cancer last Dec. While the prostate cancer group i s very useful people living alone have some different problems to those living with a family or partner. Thanks

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

I live alone and have just been diagnosed with oesophageal cancer , my mother and brother both live over 80 miles away so my friends have been really helpful but sometimes they can be a bit overpowering . Not sure if that's just because my head is all over the place .

I feel a bit awkward at times because people keep saying I look fine and haven't lost any weight but in my head I feel like shouting at them .

• Thankyou to all 20 people who have replied so far.

is there anyone else out there who would be interested in a new group?

Lynda.

Please take a few moments to fill in your profile to let people know what your connection is to Cancer, and a little about your story. This really helps us know how to answer your questions with the most relevant information

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi,

I think this is an excellent idea.  I found myself living alone with cancer as my partner couldn't cope with my diagnosis and excused himself from the situation.

An added problem - if it could be called that - is that I have always been very strong and independent and asking others for help has been hard.  I have been pleasantly surprised how helpful people have been and how much this site has helped.

I had my operation last week and came home from hospital yesterday. Without my daughter running herself ragged - new full time job, baby and living over 20 miles away from me - my stay and operation would have been much harder.  Having a special someone to take you to and from hospital and be there in the difficult post-op period is something most would wish for and would relieve a lot of stress. 

I am aware my position is so much better than many on here and my heart goes out to them. 

Regards,

Val 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Lynda

i lost my husband on 5 th jan and learn that my cancer is back in feb have three grown up children so live alone a lot of the time so I could both contribute and benifit from this sort of group .

Yvonne x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

I live alone and would be willing to give this a try.

, I feel like my quality of life has changed so much since I went through my breast cancer treatment, even though I am in remission.

It would be interesting to find out if others have been affected in a similar way, and if living alone has anything to do with it, or if this is a common problem whatever your domestic situation.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Good question quasie, I wonder if living alone has an impact on how the body and mind deals with the desease.

Regards,  Nicholas

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

This group would really help me as although I have lots of very good friends who will do any thing to help me it's when I get home and have to sit there by myself that my mind starts worrying about things .

Just had my operation postponed so sitting here typing this out knowing that there are other people out there sitting alone with the same sort of problems stops me feeling so lonely , still feel fed up and down in the dumps but don't feel alone

• Hi,

it is so horrible when we get all psyched up for these things, plus arrangements made, then they get changed. Did they give you a new date to plan for?

Lynda.

Please take a few moments to fill in your profile to let people know what your connection is to Cancer, and a little about your story. This really helps us know how to answer your questions with the most relevant information

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Lakeslover

Not given me a new operation date yet but hospital has rang me and sent a letter with an appointment to see a different surgeon on the 31st of march , hope he is not going to tell me about the surgery but give me an actual day .