Inoperable Duodenal Cancer

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 2 replies
  • 58 subscribers

Hi  my Mum has recently been diagnosed with duodenal cancer, it seems quite rare.  We have been told it is too an invasive op for her and radiotherapy not possible as too near liver.   She has shadowing on her liver now.     Because her duodenum was blocked she had a stent put in which has helped her terrible vomiting.

Mum wants to know how much time she has (so do I)  I know these things are only every approximates but we find it really hard to find out any information perhaps because its an ususual cancer.

Because of coronavirus I dont want to get her hopes up of all the things we might do, if that isnt going to be a reality, because her time may be very limited.

I just wondered if anyone had any experience of this  - either this type of cancer and or not being able to get any information about potential timescales.   Its the thing that is driving us both mad, so thought we'd try here.

thanks in advance and really hope asking doesnt upset anyone x

• Hi and welcome to the online community

I'm very sorry to hear that your mum has recently been diagnosed with duodenal cancer. This must be a very worrying time for you both not helped by the coronavirus!

The only people who will be able to give her a rough idea of how much time she has is her hospital team. They might be very reluctant to offer a timescale as they can only base their answer on what the average life expectancy of someone with duodenal cancer is and everyone's cancer acts differently. This means that some people might live a lot longer than average whilst others, sadly, won't.

The community is divided up into groups so I'm going to recommend that you join the small bowel cancer group where you can ask questions and share experiences with others who have this type of cancer.

I don't know from what you've posted if you are your mum's carer. If you are then the carers only group is a safe and supportive place to share your worries and emotions. As that group is only for carers if you're not your mum's carer then the family and friends group offers the same level of support.

To join any of these groups just click on the links I've created and then choose 'join this group' on the pages that open. You can then introduce yourself and post questions after selecting 'start a discussion' and join in with existing conversations by clicking on 'reply'.

When you have a minute it would be useful if could pop something about your mum's journey so far into your profile as it really helps others when answering or looking for someone with a similar diagnosis. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Edit Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to latchbrook

thanks for all this   will def join the small bowel group