On a lighter note or should it be darker ....

• 8 replies
  • 45 subscribers

Morning all

Long story short and on a lighter note - before chemo my hair was mid-brown with a hint of red then it all fell out over a couple of weeks - no problem so far expected and forewarned about this and that it would grow again.  Fast forward and as expected it has started growing again ..

I was told about the possibility of chemo curl but expected it to be the same colour or possibly grey given all the chemicals swilling around in my system. 

What is coming through is curly whereas before it was straight and curls involved time and money but it is JET BLACK.!!    Has anybody else had a change of colour after chemo or knows anyone who has .. is it common more importantly is it permanent?   xx

• I had grey. Hair before but after chemo it came back even more grey, predominantly grey I should say.

• What a result Deb I E  but I doubt you wouldn't want hair maintenence chemo! Mine came back a bit like a mohican  but pretty well white.

Mind you I am 68 in a month so lucky to have any hair.

• that’s one benefit of hormone therapy, increased hair growth. ;)

• Hi

After chemo first time around ( 2004), I went from mousey to steel grey and then back to mousey. This time I went from mousey to very silver and it has stayed that way. Hope you like being jet black - interesting. Have you been listening to Leonard Cohen " You want it darker?" - maybe the Universe mis-understood!

• Hi all

Thanks for replies.  After daydreaming instead of working and catching sight of my hair every time I turned my head right it t seemed a reasonable question for a wet windy Thursday morning. After I posted I also did the sensible thing and decided to google (something my consultant is always saying not to do). 

However, after considerable research I can report that by teatime I was none the wiser - it appears that it can happen no one knows why and sometimes it changes back to original colour and sometimes it will stay black or even change to grey so what this space. 

Owned by staffies - I haven't listened to Leonard Cohen but will find the album... 

Carpe Diem
    Deb1E
  • Haha Deb1E,

My hair was fine and a dark blonde. After chemo it came back dark brown, much thicker and curly. I loved it!

Didn’t last  - sadly went back to fine and a bit wispy and dead looking.My diet doesn’t help though. I put a few highlites in to liven it up! 

• My crown used to cover up my bald patch to a degree but after chemo it has moved down to my neck leaving the bald patch free reign to spread! I have natural white highlights now, in fact all of my hair is highlit! 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

I have pattern baldness (I'm 43) and first started losing it in my 20s. I've managed to keep a fair bit though, and didn't lose any during chemo although it stopped growing. Anyway, when it started growing again, an area that had been completely bald suddenly had hair in it. Given that can happen, I'm able to believe anything!