Program last night 'Hospital' BBC2 9/11/20

• 3 replies
  • 43 subscribers

I watched the above program last night and as well as showing bowel cancer cases it gave an insight into the problems that hospitals are having post first covid wave. No surprises a lack of space and money but I found some issues gob smacking. The Royal Free Hosp London only had 13 rapid covid tests a day in their labs as they are rationed. This set against 100 ops per day some of which were short notice and hadn't had covid tests pre op. Worth a look as you can see why many cancer ops are being put off or hugely delayed. I am awaiting surgery and wish that our Govt would give more cash to these poor hospitals, heartbreaking.

Nicky

• Hi Nicky

I see that as well, yes it made you take notice, I felt for the Doctors, and cancer patients having to wait, that poor man his had spread.

It is on again next week, not sure if it is a follow on.

Take Care Ellie xx

• I watched it too, and it is horrifying. We take so much for granted re the NHS being there for us, and to see the backroom discussions and the stress of trying to fit a quart into a pint pot is eye opening. As a political animal anyway, it made me even more angry about what has happened to NHS funding over the last decade, and the way most people are so unaware of what has been happening. The poor patients waiting both for cancer treatment and aneurism surgery... Just be glad we dont live in the USA, and make sure we all let our MPs know how much we need and value the NHS. The staff working under such pressure are being unfairly treated by our politicians. Hearing Matt Hancock talk about the role out of the covid vaccine and the NHS getting ready to work flat out etc ... what the hell does he think they have been doing for the last decade and more.

• You’re right. The government has been closing hospitals and reducing beds for decades. Now they are having to open up more.

I am grateful for all the care I have had but have had to fight for treatment for myself  along the way because of lack of funding.

Ruth