Struggling

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 12 replies
  • 45 subscribers

Hi I was diagnosed with invasive lobular breast cancer in September 19, I had a ct scan half way through chemo and it had shown changes in my spine and I was diagnosed with secondary cancer. I’m currently on ribociclib, denosumab, letrazole and zoladex and my scan in May has shown stable disease and signs of my bones healing which I know is brilliant but I’m still feeling so frightened about my future. I feel like I’m waiting to die ( sorry that’s morbid ) and keep wondering how long I have left, I know the stats are outdated and I shouldn’t look but I have and it’s terrified me even more. I know there are lots of positive stories out there now and treatments are improving but I struggle most days and I’m filled with anxiety. Anyone been living with secondaries long term and can give me some success stories? I’ve had no operation so I still have a slight lump although it’s shrunk allot during chemo and now my new treatment. I feel like I should be doing better than I am as it’s been nearly 7 months now but I’m just not. X

• Hi Lollipop84 & welcome to the group. I am Annette that KT mentioned. I was diagnosed in 2013 and was actually on that drug for over 3 years. At first, all I could think of was funerals. I wouldn't buy anything new as I thought what's the point, it will just be something else for my husband to send to a charity shop when I'm gone! Then I was offered the trial drug, at that time no one knew if it would work or not but it gave me HOPE! If there was nothing they could offer me, there was no hope but if there was a trial drug I thought if it just kept me alive for a bit longer, then after it stopped working, they would find something else I could try, etc etc! When my brother was 43 he was diagnosed with Malignant Melanoma, like KT & I but the difference was there were no options at all, no suggestion of any sort of treatment and he'd have tried anything!

Just being given an option of treatment, gave me the hope I needed to live every day and enjoy it for as long as I could. Never did I think, I'd still be here in 2020!! Yes I've had side effects & several operations but I'm still here to attend our grandson's 6th birthday on Thursday and our other 2 grandchildren aged 8&5 will also be there. I thank my lucky stars and Cancer Research UK every day for the miracle of my life! It might not be the one I planned but I can live with that!

Its early days Lollipop things will get better!

love to ALL Annette X

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!
  • Hi lollipop84

I don’t reply in this group very often, but felt I had to give you another positive story, as we are both on similar drugs. I started on letrrozole, but swapped to anastrozole due to side effects. I am also on Zoledex and have recently started denosumab. My tumours have remained stable on the anastrozole and zoledex alone, since 2014.  7 months is still very soon into your treatment, and as you know these are hormone treatments, so you will still be feeling all over the place. It’s like going through the menopause at 100 miles an hour. Hope you have slept well and are feeling better this morning. 

Chelle x 

Chelle 

Try to be a rainbow,in somebody else's cloud
    Maya Angelou

Community Champion badge