Tipple Talk

• 2 replies
  • 42 subscribers

Hi all

I thought I would ask this question from those in the know.... I am about to start Folfiri with Cetuximab later this week and I wondered if the occasional alcoholic drink would be OK? I am in the lucky position of no liver mets (yet) and obviously chocolate is one of my 'five a day' but will the occasional Baileys, gin and tonic or glass of red wine cause a disaster?

I know that it is ultimately my own choice but given that I am going to die from the cancer anyway, I would rather eat, drink and be merry while I still can than live on a diet of celery and kale smoothies. On the other hand if it is going to stop the chemo working or cause my liver to explode I guess I can do without. We are talking about a single drink at weekends, not getting hammered on white lightning behind the bike sheds.

Thoughts?

• Hi , I have no experience of your drugs and what the warnings are on the packet, but I thought I’d share my over cautious response.

A long while ago, 30 and a half years ago in fact I was discharged from hospital with my youngest child and antibiotics or some medication which said don’t use alcohol. I thought half a glass of champagne was reasonable, to celebrate, but was really scared when suddenly while talking to my husband I was conscious that it was entire gobbledygook coming out, I tried again and what I heard dI’d not match what I was trying to say, it was really quite frightening but did pass in a few minutes. As an ex civil servant I’m not really a rule breaker anyway but I don’t break no alcohol rules, after this.  

I think you will have many alternative posts though. 

Take care KT

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi

A girl after my own heart. Sadly my body reacts very badly to alcohol these days and just one glass of fizz can leave me curled up on the bathroom floor for the entire night, feeling as though I have spiders running up and down my veins. Very hard to describe but it’s not something I want to go through.

I think it’s something between you and your doctors. Many chemotherapy agents are dissolved in alcohol - and this can be a real problem for your genuine alcoholics - so you end up getting a bit of a tipple anyway as the infusion goes along.

Most of the doctors I’ve spoken to her about drinking havd said that an occasional drink is fine. They are after all trying to give you a life rather than a living death so they tend to support the notion of that a little of what you fancy does you good. It’s not safe for me to advise but I don’t think anyone will judge you for asking. I hope you get the green light and that you can really enjoy your Saturday night Baileys.

chin chin

xx