My Big Day Out Up London Town

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 41 replies
  • 44 subscribers

Hi folks 

I’m writing this from a hospital bed at UCLH in central London  after my big day out. Oooh the excitement. 

It all began about 11.30 when, well, not to beat about the bush, I wet myself. I have a small tumour on my spine, near the bottom at L2 and I’d been warned that this could happen if the tumour pressed on the spinal cord. If this or a variety of other equally depressing symptoms arose, it was a medical emergency and I should go to hospital immediately. 

All good advice in normal times. But these are not normal times so I called my GP. He was on holiday, would I like to speak to another doctor? Why yes I would and 20 minutes later the phone rang. I explained what had happened (and continues) and the GP said sounds like an emergency to me but I need to speak to my senior colleague. Meantime I rang the oncologist at the trials unit. Sounds like an emergency to me, she said, but I want to speak to a senior colleague and your GP. 

So they all spoke to each other and by 1.30 the oncologist from the trials unit called back to say I should bypass my local hospital as I don’t have a consultant there and head instead to A&E at UCLH where they were expecting me and would do an MRI scan as a first step. Expect to stay overnight at least one night. 

My isolating friend was just on her way out the door for a walk when I called to ask for a lift. Half an hour later, after a quick piece of toast, satsuma and chunk of toblerone (got to get my priorities right here) and packing an overnight bag, she picked me up. 

A&E was strangely quiet when I arrived at 3.15. Security guards at the door asked me to sanitise my hands and put on a mask. By 4pm I was in a cubicle on the non covid side of majors and being looked after by a nurse I know from the trials unit. A familiar face, even if masked, is a big comfort at times like this. By 6pm I’d had the MRI. By 6.30 I was in a bed in the oncology ward. At 7 I saw the oncology registrar. 

The good news: there is no spinal compression. Phew! However, the tumour is pressing on the nerves exiting the spinal column causing pain and numbness in my leg. That doesn’t explain the urinary incontinence so they are checking for an infection. She started me on steroids. 

The whole place is spotless but this danger from covid-19 is real. The porter who wheeled me up to the ward revealed he’d just lost a colleague to the disease. 

It feels surreal to be writing about rushing in to hospital when so many of us are being told to stay away. I am in no doubt that I wouldn’t have had this advice if it wasn’t the right thing to do but it’s such a contrast. It feels like the NHS has been here for me big time today. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Popgate

Hi Flippen

Thank you for your best wishes and kind words. I remember that night you posted here first. I wasn’t sure I could be of any help so I did the only thing I could and reached out with a listening ear and a shoulder to lean on. It’s been terrific watching you turn yourself around - and make no mistake it’s you who’s done it. You’ve taken the help on offer and used it to help yourself. Now I see you helping others. I couldn’t be more proud of you 

Stay strong! Stay safe xxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Popgate

Dear Daloni

Hoping it gets sorted and your home with girls and dog soon.  Can’t even smuggle you a toblerone in.

hugs

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to ruthjp

Hi

Thank you. Do you know, I feel quite safe here. Everyone is wearing masks and cleaning, cleaning, cleaning. I’m watching a very difficult situation unfold opposite, mind you. There’s a very deaf lady who lip reads. She can’t see people’s lips now and is scared, frustrated and increasingly angry. The hospital brought in a sign language interpreter for the ward round so she could understand the doctor. She’s just had a right go at the ward sister, saying there are transparent masks a available and the ways should use them. The ward sister said she didn’t have any and didn’t know where to get them. It did not go well. 

I am sorry to hear you had a bad reaction to the blood pressure medication. It sounds like you are getting on an even keel now and finding a rhythm. I hope the trip to Bristol is uneventful. 

Lots of love xxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Oh daloni, so sorry to hear of your adventures....I ended up in st marys a&e last week after splitting my head open on a London taxi door, and was absolutely terrified of the hazmat suits and corona virus red zones! But in the end it was a strangely comforting experience because the doctors were so amazing and accomplished, it was the NHS’s “ safe hands” - still don’t know how I am virus free though.
    anyway I hope you make it home today and reassuring to know they are not too worried, all my love, heather x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Daloni Hope you are ok and make it home this afternoon.Its lovely today just sat in the garden taking it easy. Take care x

• FormerMember

Hi Daloni, Sorry hear you are in hospital but very happy that you were seen very quickly and hope you will be on your way home soon. All the best. Lynn 2.xx

• FormerMember

Hi,  

Hope you're on your way home soon & that this is, indeed, just a blip. With any luck, you'll be home in time to enjoy some of this beautiful day. And Toblerone.

• Blimey daloni that is some adventure. It just shows although we do moan about getting fobbed off by medicinal types in favour of someone who is going to have a longer life they do get stuck in once they have been whacked with a stick! 

Hope you are back home and safe soon.

• I am glad you are feeling safe. I don’t want to scare you . Hope you will be feeling better soon.

love Ruth xx

Ruth 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Daloni nice to meet you, can i ask which London hospital, as i live near St Marys, but my can hospital is Charing cross.

Ray Lung Group