My Big Day Out Up London Town

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 41 replies
  • 44 subscribers

Hi folks 

I’m writing this from a hospital bed at UCLH in central London  after my big day out. Oooh the excitement. 

It all began about 11.30 when, well, not to beat about the bush, I wet myself. I have a small tumour on my spine, near the bottom at L2 and I’d been warned that this could happen if the tumour pressed on the spinal cord. If this or a variety of other equally depressing symptoms arose, it was a medical emergency and I should go to hospital immediately. 

All good advice in normal times. But these are not normal times so I called my GP. He was on holiday, would I like to speak to another doctor? Why yes I would and 20 minutes later the phone rang. I explained what had happened (and continues) and the GP said sounds like an emergency to me but I need to speak to my senior colleague. Meantime I rang the oncologist at the trials unit. Sounds like an emergency to me, she said, but I want to speak to a senior colleague and your GP. 

So they all spoke to each other and by 1.30 the oncologist from the trials unit called back to say I should bypass my local hospital as I don’t have a consultant there and head instead to A&E at UCLH where they were expecting me and would do an MRI scan as a first step. Expect to stay overnight at least one night. 

My isolating friend was just on her way out the door for a walk when I called to ask for a lift. Half an hour later, after a quick piece of toast, satsuma and chunk of toblerone (got to get my priorities right here) and packing an overnight bag, she picked me up. 

A&E was strangely quiet when I arrived at 3.15. Security guards at the door asked me to sanitise my hands and put on a mask. By 4pm I was in a cubicle on the non covid side of majors and being looked after by a nurse I know from the trials unit. A familiar face, even if masked, is a big comfort at times like this. By 6pm I’d had the MRI. By 6.30 I was in a bed in the oncology ward. At 7 I saw the oncology registrar. 

The good news: there is no spinal compression. Phew! However, the tumour is pressing on the nerves exiting the spinal column causing pain and numbness in my leg. That doesn’t explain the urinary incontinence so they are checking for an infection. She started me on steroids. 

The whole place is spotless but this danger from covid-19 is real. The porter who wheeled me up to the ward revealed he’d just lost a colleague to the disease. 

It feels surreal to be writing about rushing in to hospital when so many of us are being told to stay away. I am in no doubt that I wouldn’t have had this advice if it wasn’t the right thing to do but it’s such a contrast. It feels like the NHS has been here for me big time today. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to ruthjp

I’m home!!!!! The worst case scenario has been ruled out, thank goodness. No radiotherapy at this point and there’s a couple of referrals to follow up. I can’t accuse them of not being thorough. 

Thank you all for the good wishes. They’ve helped me through this short but traumatic incident. 

xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hi

UCLH. I can’t rate it highly enough. Nice to meet you too btw

• FormerMember

Thanks never been there as every hospital i go to they ship me back to CC, which i think beats St Mary's and Hammersmith.

Ray

• FormerMember

Hi Ray

Charing Cross has a good rep for cancer care and a Maggie’s Centre. You could definitely do worse. 

• Oh daloni I am in floods of tears reading this what you have said about me now I look a right mess for my 8 o clock clap session!!!!!!! Thank you Thank you and fantastic news that you are out of hospital brilliantttttttttttttttttttt news!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Flippen
  • , i'm so glad you're back home and had a good check up, but hey you could have gone to London at a better time for an adventure Slight smile

So what's with your bladder now? Does it work?

I wish you all the best, we need you here!!!

Pet

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Pet1968

I’m so pleased you’re home and that you didn’t need surgery. For anyone who does find they need spinal decompression, yes, it’s a very big operation, but it’s manageable and you do recover. Two years on I’m still pain-free and functioning so it was well worth it, if a bit scary at the time. 

• FormerMember

So pleased to hear this , 

You must feel as if you've dodged a bullet...in more ways than one!

I hope you'll have a peaceful Easter weekend with your girls and no more excitement. I'm a teeny tiny bit jealous of your dog walks with Noodle but hope you'll be able to take advantage of this lovely weather in such a beautiful setting.

much love,

xx

• Wow 

I take 2 or 3 days away from the group and all hell breaks loose! 

I'm so sorry to hear that you were in hospital because of your problem due to the tumour pressing against your bladder. I'm glad to hear that you're home now although I'm curious to find out the next steps for you. 

I also remember that Annette had a similar experience last year because I have been told it may happen to me and if it does, I've to get myself to A&E asap. As Annette described it, I too had pain down my left leg and loss of feeling in my left foot.

You don't want to get spinal compression, as that's what happened to me in the summer of 2015, just 4 months after my cancer diagnosis. L2 to L5 is where my troubles lie, leading to a diagnosis of spinal stenosis for me which also encapsulates in layman's terms, 2 discs out. The problem diagnosis has led to me living life in a wheelchair, the pain is so intense. Having the 2 diagnoses within 4 months of each other wasn't good for my mental health either and the realisation that my life was going down a very different path to that which I was planning just a few years away from retirement had my mind doing somersaults and I had a few sessions with a therapist, my main concerns were that I felt that I was about to let my family down.

So stay as far away from spinal compression please Daloni, it's not good for you!

Why have I not been at the site? Precisely because of the spinal stenosis. I've been trying to get some beds constricted in my plot before, if all goes well, I build my polytunnel over the top. Progress is agonisingly slow, and agonisingly has two meanings in that sentence, of the paínful type being the main one, extremely paínful. I've been sowing lots, as well as transplanting young seedlings for planting out in three or four weeks once the risk of frosts has passed. I've over seventy little plants in the greenhouse, as well as many vegetable sowings. All that work has made my whole body so sore, I've sore muscles in places where I didn't know I had muscles, and of course the base of my spine feels like it's about to break in two. 

The weather at times has been so glorious, as if spring is here, but I've been gardening too long to know that mornings can yet lead to heartbreakingly late frosts.

I hope that you don't have any more mishaps with the bladder, Daloni. Has anyone given you any idea regarding an operation in the future, or is everything apart from emergencies being understandably given to Covid 19?

Glad to hear you're back home and away from danger.

Tvman xx

Love life and family.
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to tvman

Hi

Your gardening sounds ambitious! What a grand way to be outside and enjoying the glorious weather. Plus in a few months time, you’ll have all that home grown produce on your dinner plate. I’m just sorry it’s so painful. 

I am extremely relieved not to be going down the path marked “spinal compression”. It was a nerve wracking day. The little blighter is still in there though so yes, I feel I’ve dodged a bullet for now. Let’s just hope the trial I’m on is keeping things stable. I’ll know more about that after a CT scan on Tuesday. 

Meantime, happy Easter! It will be a strange one this year. At least the weather looks like it’s on our side 

xx