My Big Day Out Up London Town

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 41 replies
  • 44 subscribers

Hi folks 

I’m writing this from a hospital bed at UCLH in central London  after my big day out. Oooh the excitement. 

It all began about 11.30 when, well, not to beat about the bush, I wet myself. I have a small tumour on my spine, near the bottom at L2 and I’d been warned that this could happen if the tumour pressed on the spinal cord. If this or a variety of other equally depressing symptoms arose, it was a medical emergency and I should go to hospital immediately. 

All good advice in normal times. But these are not normal times so I called my GP. He was on holiday, would I like to speak to another doctor? Why yes I would and 20 minutes later the phone rang. I explained what had happened (and continues) and the GP said sounds like an emergency to me but I need to speak to my senior colleague. Meantime I rang the oncologist at the trials unit. Sounds like an emergency to me, she said, but I want to speak to a senior colleague and your GP. 

So they all spoke to each other and by 1.30 the oncologist from the trials unit called back to say I should bypass my local hospital as I don’t have a consultant there and head instead to A&E at UCLH where they were expecting me and would do an MRI scan as a first step. Expect to stay overnight at least one night. 

My isolating friend was just on her way out the door for a walk when I called to ask for a lift. Half an hour later, after a quick piece of toast, satsuma and chunk of toblerone (got to get my priorities right here) and packing an overnight bag, she picked me up. 

A&E was strangely quiet when I arrived at 3.15. Security guards at the door asked me to sanitise my hands and put on a mask. By 4pm I was in a cubicle on the non covid side of majors and being looked after by a nurse I know from the trials unit. A familiar face, even if masked, is a big comfort at times like this. By 6pm I’d had the MRI. By 6.30 I was in a bed in the oncology ward. At 7 I saw the oncology registrar. 

The good news: there is no spinal compression. Phew! However, the tumour is pressing on the nerves exiting the spinal column causing pain and numbness in my leg. That doesn’t explain the urinary incontinence so they are checking for an infection. She started me on steroids. 

The whole place is spotless but this danger from covid-19 is real. The porter who wheeled me up to the ward revealed he’d just lost a colleague to the disease. 

It feels surreal to be writing about rushing in to hospital when so many of us are being told to stay away. I am in no doubt that I wouldn’t have had this advice if it wasn’t the right thing to do but it’s such a contrast. It feels like the NHS has been here for me big time today. 

• Hi Well you have been a busy bee!! Sounds great. Regarding spinal compression, I think I wrote spinal decompression instead but I take it Daloni knew what I was talking about! Of course the surgery was called spinal decompression to sort it out and I, like you had two vertebrae out of place, so the put a bracket in my spine to stabilise it! 

I'd like to know where all this glorious weather is? It's certainly not up here. It's pouring ATM. We had a couple of dry days last week but the chill in the wind could take your breath away.

I hope everyone has a good (although different) Easter Weekend and don't overdo it if your weather is good. Just sit and enjoy it!

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!
  • I Tried to add a picture but I think I failed 

it was of the seed trays I prepared in the garden 

Ruth 

• It says you can add pictures by dragging them in but it didn’t work.

i also wanted to show Daloni the soda bread I made 

Ruth 

• Hope you can see this picture of my dog in the garden with the seed trays.

Ruth 

• Sorry don’t know how to turn it round 

Ruth 

• My first go at making soda bread 

Ruth 

• Oh You have been busy! You'll have lots of plants from all those seeds! The soda bread looks lovely, is it hard to make?

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!
  • Hi Annette,

soda bread is easy and you don’t need yeast just bicarbonate of soda .

if you ask google there’s are videos from Paul Hollywood and Mary Berry showing you 

love Ruth xxx

i am having a bad time with headaches at the moment have you any suggestions?

Ruth 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to ruthjp

Hi

Your soda bread looks awesome. Your seed trays look bountiful. I’m sorry about the headaches. They are very debilitating 

Happy Easter! 
    xxx

• Hi Ruth

Sorry to hear that you're having headaches. I hadn't had a headache for something like 50 years a few months ago when I was ill. Ha ha, I suppose I've been 'ill' for quite a few years now! I picked up a virus a couple of months ago. 

You've been busy with the seed sowing, that kind of thing isn't done in 15 minutes, I know, I've done thousands of them over the years. That's a lovely dog you have sitting proudly guarding the trays Slight smile I wouldn't be able to leave Conan the Vandal with my trays, he'd either be trying to dig the compost out or trying to bury one or two somewhere like in the corner of the sofa or our bed! I'm not sure if he'll grow out of it or not, he's 8 years old now. Just the other day he got hold of an empty slug pellet container that I'd set at the back gate ready for putting in the bin round the side of the house. Every time Conan takes something he shouldn't, he gives the game away in his great excitement. My wife was in the kitchen and Conan flew in the back door, hurricane-like, into the utility room, then the kitchen, into the hall, bombed down the hall to our bedroom and up onto the bed, front paws going billy-o, trying to dig a hole in the bed!

Ruth, I hope your soda tastes as good as it looks, yum! It looks so tasty. Soda and potato bread are very much part of our menu in Northern Ireland, mostly as part of an Ulster Fry which I steer away from with my heart disease. The good old Ulster Fry was partly responsible for Northern Ireland having the highest rate of heart disease in the world during the 60s and 70s. 

My wife always does a lemon meringue at Easter as well as a few buns with little Easter eggs. We're a little deflated this Easter because our daughter, sil and little grandson were to be here for 10 days and we had so much planned, including an Easter egg hunt for children and adults alike. You know what? We'd rather have it next year with everyone having survived the Corona virus, yes sirree.

Take care Ruth, and I hope you can shift your headache.

Tvman xx

Love life and family.