Treatment postponed

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 17 replies
  • 43 subscribers

Just had a phone call from my oncologist and need to vent. My immune system is very poor at present and in his opinion I would not survive catching corona virus. Therefore, I need to isolate as much as possible. My chemo has been deferred for 4 to 6 weeks. While I am not surprised by this decision, I do feel very down about it. At least while I was receiving chemo I felt like we were doing something to fight the cancer. On the plus side, at least the chemo side effects like diarrhoea should stop. I need a big hug, but live alone. Oh well, I will get used to this in a wee while. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

I am still waiting to hear what I am to expect , or if any treatment will be offered.  My next app is April 27 will ring the week before, if I hear nothing.   Our oncology dept is closed,  Just hope I've not been forgotten.   C J  

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Patti48

Hi   

Have you thought of having coffee dates by WhatsApp video call? That's what my family are doing. Prop the phone up where you can see one another, and chat away. 

Xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Patti48

It seems like more and more of us are finding ourselves in this uncertain position. It isn't easy, but we must accept what is happening. At least we have this group where the support is fantastic. My very best wishes to each and every one of you.

Michele xx

Quick update. My local hospital just phoned with a date for my next chemo session. It's not until 15 May but it is something positive to hang on to. Blush

• FormerMember

Hi folks 

2 weeks ago I was sitting waiting for my routine scan when oncologist phoned to say she was putting my chemo on hold.i was so gutted as my cancer is very aggressive.i think I’ve cried for 2 weeks,yesterday I got an appointment to see oncologist next week.so now I have a week of worry if my scan was good why not give me a telephone consultation? Oh why do we always think the worst.

take care everyone

• FormerMember

Geordie47, so sorry to hear that you have been so distressed. It seems to be human nature to always see the worst in these situations, but I hope that you receive better news when you see your oncologist. The delay in your scan result may be because the scans are reviewed by another hospital. I know that CT scans at my local hospital are reviewed by the team at one of the major cancer centres in London. That takes a few days to happen and my local hospital says nothing until the review is done. Big (((HUGS))) to you and my very best wishes that all will be well.

Michele xx

• FormerMember

Hi  

I think that would rattle anyone, but particularly in these turbulent times when so many changes are being made to our appointments, scans and treatment. That makes it even harder to second guess what this means. I'm so sorry to hear you have more worry on top of the delay to your chemo.

It may be that the scan shows indications for a change of plan but try not to let your fears run away with you, that's exhausting and as we all know it doesn't change anything. Easy to say....but so hard.

Taking good care of yourself and finding ways to manage the stress are the priority for now. Don't forget you can call the Macmillan helpline any time. You've weathered some very tough times before and you will again. Thinking of you and sending love and hugs. Wishing you the very best of luck for your appointment next week.

xx

• FormerMember

I

I can't think of anything comforting to say, , except that we're all the same in assuming the worst. So here's a hug instead.