Trouble with Chemo Pump

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 4 replies
  • 42 subscribers

Hi everyone,

I’m just wondering if anyone has experienced problems with their chemo pump?

Its a very basic invention, basically a balloon full of chemo liquid inside a plastic bottle with thin tube connected to PICC line. It is supposed to enter the line using pressure as the balloon deflated over a period of 46 hours.

After having it fitted yesterday afternoon, by this afternoon none of the liquid had been used up.  After calling the hospital I was told to attend and they would flush my line.  Everything seemed to be working ok.

As the pump is only prescribed for 46 hours it is removed whether dose has been used or not.  So in my case I will be lucky to get half the dose, that’s if it is working now and I don’t think that it is.

I will see the district nurse tomorrow and I will speak to my colorectal nurse on Monday.  I hope this doesn’t happen to often because so far I haven’t had anything that has worked for me since radiotherapy in December 18 and my colorectal cancer has now spread to lungs ( lots of lesions in both lungs) and now my liver.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Dear

i am so sorry to hear of your difficulties with your pump. Is it possible to ask to be supervised in the clinic during the onset of the treatment as not getting the full dose seems unsatisfactory given your cancer seems to be progressing. I know at my blood cancer clinic it’s not uncommon to be admitted as a inpatient for this method of administration. Hopefully other members will be along soon with their own practical experiences but I didn’t want you to go without a reply in the meantime.

• Hi.

I cannot understand that they said to you just to leave it and if nothing gets in it would be fine??? That's crazy. A friend of mine had the problem that the needle did come loose as he was trying to sleep and moved his arm to far, so all fluid did run out on his chest. But next time he did know not to move the arm and it was fine. May next time you can be monitored at docs for a while to make sure it works? May the needle is on a wall/bone. So many things that could do it.

Wish you all the best, Pet

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Pet1968

Thank you very much for your replies.

pump was removed yesterday and it was approx half used.

I called the colorectal nurse this morning to tell her, she said there has been problems with them recently and other patients have experienced the same issue with them and she will flag this up with the oncologist.

The thing with the pump is that because the chemo filled balloon moves so slowly it’s many hours before you can tell whether the solution is moving or not and by which time once you get to the hospital to remedy it you have lost all that time of chemo infusion.

I will do whatever it takes to ensure I get the chemo even if it means staying in hospital for 3 days every fortnight.  

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi sheensb

I know how you feel with the dreaded PICC line and pump.  I have had two PICC lines one in each arm, the first got infected the second gave me a blood clot. I went onto to have a portacath best thing invented. I never have a problem with my pump draining,you can shower etc without having to cover it up.

Hope everything works out for you, take care

Debbiedo