Tears

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 46 replies
  • 45 subscribers

Hello 

I was at the hospital the other day to see the NHS Consultant and as I was leaving the unit someone was bringing the bell they have to signify their treatment is over and people were clapping. I burst into tears and think I may have starled a few people. A nurse came over to ask if I was alright and I said my cancer would only be over when I am dead. I asked if ther realised how hard it was for people like me to see and witness this. She said she had thought about it a few times and would mention it at their next staff meeting.  I dont expect anything to change and I guess I was just feeling vulnerable. Tomorrow I have a scan, so will have anxiety on waiting for the results and also blood tests to check if I am okay for my next round of oral chemo.  On a lighter note I am going with my husband to Buckinghamshire to visit our month old granddaughter, so looking forward to the weekend but it will be in my mind the while time about my scan results.  

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

I’ve had a good chuckle at the idea of someone being the Jane Fonda of cancer rights.

• I've seen the bell down in the chemo/radio unit at my hospital, and I'm very glad that it's down there and I'm not. My appointments are two floors above that, and I can be sitting waiting for hours sometimes. (Haematology is another two floors above that again! lol) So if I had to sit there and see and watch folks ringing the bell, I think it'd annoy me a bit.

It's nice for people to have or do something to mark the end of a treatment, but not something so public when there are people in all sorts of situations sitting nearby.

Maybe we could think of something else to replace it, and Macmillan could champion it and get it out there?

Lass

xx

I have no medical training, everything I post is an opinion or educated guess. It is not medical advice.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Lass

That's such a good idea Lass. 

Our bell is right by the exit in the treatment room. No escaping it if you're getting your chemo or targeted therapy. Its not for everyone.

FishFish

• Hi

Yes, the shopping centre is quite good, I've been there many times. I like Stamford too, a beautiful place. My daughter lived in two places in Peterborough, now she lives in a small village just north of Peterborough, with the inventive name of Northborough! 

Two summers ago I and another member of the group called Aultone arranged to meet for a cuppa at a fete in the Cathedral of the Fens, St Mary Magdalene Church, Gedney. Unfortunately he passed away a couple of months later. He was well respected and popular in the group. 

Jack, I'll be over visiting my daughter in February for a week, maybe we could meet for a cuppa some day in Peterborough or elsewhere?

Tvman xx

Love life and family.
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to tvman

As long as it’s not the 16th of February, as I’m in London. I’m a coke cola addict. At one point I thought it caused my cancer because I drink too much of the stuff.

• Hi Jack

I'll be travelling to Northborough on the 16th, so that's not a good date for me either. We can pm each other before I go. 

Tvman xx

Love life and family.
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to tvman

It’s my birthday today. I’m with my mum. Got my cards and enjoying her company. But I shall be looking forward to watching unmarked the singer. I love Queen Bee and the Unicorn. Don’t forget the monster too. I shall be happy to lie down when I get home.

• FormerMember

Here’s a pic of our Jo Taylor. 

• FormerMember

Happy Birthday JackD!

Hope you are having a fabulous day with your mum. How great you got over to see her.

I'll be joining you for the Masked Singer later. Got to to have a bit of fun on a Saturday night.

Birthday wishes from Fishy Fish

• FormerMember

Dear