Not ready for cancer retirement!!!

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 26 replies
  • 42 subscribers

There are people who expect me to start acting like someone with cancer, not to do much. Rest etc.

But I’m doing the opposite...I’m not ready for cancer retirement. I want to share some good news. I have been accepted as one of the volunteers for the homeless in our town, where three churches are taking it in turns to allow the buildings to become a roof over their heads for the winter. I shall be part of the welcoming team from 8pm to 10.30pm. I’m prepared to stay longer if needed. I’m just so glad not to be on the scrap heap yet and at the same time helping people who haven’t got a home. 

But I must watch my back, like Tvman, I’m in a lot of pain with my back. And the tailbone of my spine. But life is my drug, so I’m going to keep carrying on and make the most of being able to do things for others while I can. Thanks.

• Oh I'm so sorry you've lost your voice, I'm the opposite, I'm just getting my voice back after about two and a half weeks. My husband had lots of fun when he was talking to me, he'd whisper, mimicking what I sounded like! It was funny the first 4 or 5 times!! Lol! Hope it gets better soon!

It is heartbreaking watching someone you love struggling! It will make a huge difference to your mum, knowing you are by her side telling her you love her. It will be such a comfort to her. You can do no more. As you are there for her, we are here for you, think of us being by your side comforting you!

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

What a lovely picture of your Mum.I have one that I keep by my dressing table.she hated having her picture took she passed away 19 yrs ago but seems like yesterday.

good for you helping people it’s hard being home all day,I get so fed up.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to anndanv

Thanks Annette.

Your Husband sounds a great character. Thanks to you, Tvman and Daloni etc for your support. The only health problem I’ve got at the moment is the pain in my back. I’ve got a special seat cushion that has got a hole where my tailbone would press onto. Recently diagnosed with arthritis in that area, very painful. Also in the shoulder, hips and legs. Do other cancer sufferers get arthritis?

I hope my mum has a peaceful night, she doesn’t like the night staff. As for me, I’m now in bed, my cats all around me, a bottle of tonic after. And a packet of Revels Chocolates. I had popped into Primark before going to mum, got her Mickey Mouse pyjamas and a T-shirt.  I got myself the Frida Kahlo one. I wish I was in London Daloni. I bet we could get some bargains at Liberty of London. It’s my favourite store on Regents st. I also like to pop into a tea shop there. They have all these special teas, I must get their mulled wine one. I’m so tired. I’m about to fall asleep. 

• I'm still with you in spirit, by your side. The more you talk about your mum, the more wonderful she sounds. She didn't need to sign you tonight, the smile said it all. 

Sleep safe my friend

Tvman xx

Love life and family.
  • Yes my husband is one of a kind, he's my soulmate! Your bracelet sounds lovely! I hope your pj's are comfy! This sounds a cruel thing to say but you know your mum is very weak and it's only a matter of time then she will be free from pain.

I was diagnosed with osteoarthritis in my late twenties, I had a knee replacement in 2007 which left me with nerve damage. When I started treatment in 2013 it was a new drug. It wasn't until after I had stopped the drug, the oncologist told me it had accelerated the arthritis! Now I didn't expect that! I'm sure there are many people here who have osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, diabetes, heart problems etc etc Just because we have cancer, it doesn't mean we won't have any other illnesses alongside it unfortunately!

TO ONE AND ALL, A HAPPY, HEALTHY NEW YEAR WHEN IT COMES IN ABOUT 33 MINUTES!

It's just my husband and I here just now, starting another decade together and feel so very lucky I'm still here! We will be married 49 years in Oct 20 and I will be 70 in Aug 20! Who would have believed it! Miracles do happen! I do hope there are lots in 2020 because you all deserve it!

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to anndanv

Smiley catFoxFull moon with faceCocktailChampagneTadaTadaHAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYBODY!!!

No Annette, you are not being cruel. It’s true what you say. By the way...I haven’t had tonic water for ages...I unscrewed the top and it went everywhere. I hadn’t even shook the bottle! Ha ha ha.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

This is one of my trick photography. I love computer special effects.just a normal photo.

• FormerMember

Hi

A trip to Liberty’s would be devine. Just the antidote to these grey days. 
    xx

• FormerMember

I love their huge wraps and scarfs. They even have a body piercing area where they let me sit down for a while, offered me a drink of tea. But boy, don’t they sell some of the most beautiful things in the world there. The store is beautiful, especially the top floor which has been their Christmas area. I got some decorations from there. If you are ever on Regents street, keep a eye out for the tea shop. I am still carrying around my tea box of raspberry and cranberry. I don’t like tea but that is lovely. I love being in Kennington.  Because of the museums. And Hyde park etc. But it’s starting to take a lot out on me when I go to the museums. In 2018 I was allowed into the Frida Kahlo exhibition. It was fantastic. I’m an massive fan of hers. What I like about those trips is the fact they are free, as long as I take a pack lunch. Can be expensive eating in London, but while in Highgate,  visited the village, they have some reasonable price food and I love their bakery. I got to be able to go past George Micheal’s Unmarked grave. But they have stopped the tours in his area. Now that his sister has passed away, I bet the graveyard is chockablock with fans again. They have a sign outside making it clear that nobody is allowed at/near his grave. Also they don’t allow flowers and toys etc. They have to take them home. Here is a picture. He is buried right of his mum. It will not down load.

• FormerMember

This is his grave in the foreground. It’s a beautiful grave yard. It has foxes etc. It’s beautiful but if you want to be buried there, it will cost over £17000.