Busy couple of weeks coming up

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 249 replies
  • 46 subscribers

hi folks 

today I saw the urologist. The oncologists at the trials unit at UCLH are concerned about my kidney function and reckon the stent in my ureter is blocked. With the amount of pain I’m in, it wouldn’t surprise me. So they referred me to urology. But that’s at the local hospital. 

Today I saw the consultant urologist at my local hospital in Maidstone and he agreed. But he’s not sure the kidney is working at all so his plan is a test involving an injection of a radioactive isotope which they then track through the kidneys. If the kidney is working, he’ll replace the stent. That’s a day case procedure but involves a general anaesthetic. 

All that needs to take place before October 16 when I am due to start an immunotherapy trial. I also have to fit in a CT scan, a fancy blood test that requires a team from Cancer Research labs to come out with special kit and a biopsy. 

So it looks like I’ll either be waiting for hospital appointments or in hospital for much of the next fortnight. 

Bother. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Thanks for the support. I got home at lunch time. Cuddles with Noodle and my daughter. My daughter made me lunch and I napped for a couple of hours. Goodness me all this lying around takes it out of me. 
    Tomorrow I have the pre op.

xxx

• FormerMember

Hi Daloni 

Sorry not text u sooner  I've just came out of hospital 

So sorry 2 hear all problems you have been havin. 

Sending my love, positive thoughts, to you 

Not sure if they do it in your area cost of my hospital appointments and chemo was horrendous I happen to mention it to the breast care nurse all I ask if all my scans could b done on same day due to the cost of getting to n from hospital she said y didnt I mentioned it b4 and now I get hospital transport for every appointment  worth asking 

xxx

• Good luck tomorrow Daloni, I hope you don't have a repeat of today, but get home at the same time Slight smile

Tvman xx

Love life and family.
  • FormerMember

Oh Daloni! Some people will do anything 4 a penthouse suite...

Sounds like quite a horrific time but as least all the experts r on site. Keeping everything crossed 4 u & hope ur home with the fam soon.

WB xx

• FormerMember

Hope things go ok for pre op ,wonder what delights your daughter will cook up ,she sounds great

scary times for you ,but so far so good ,those antihistamines are obviously working for you 

xxxxx

positive thoughts

janet

xxxx

• Hi Daloni, So glad you got home at lunchtime to be spoiled by your daughter making lunch! I just hate it these days when I need blood taken or contrast liquid infused for a scan. My veins now seem to see the needle coming and are very good at hiding. It seems the longer this goes on, the worse they get! Sorry to hear about your reaction to your treatment but would it not be possible the next time you have it, could they give you the IV piriton a while before the infusion instead of waiting for it to happen and then give it! It sounds logical to me but I am sure there are probably a few reasons why they can't do this! Maybe you have already asked!

Good luck for your pre op! Is it within six weeks after the pre op they are meant to do the surgery, at the latest? Or does it depend on the surgery? I'll be thinking about you in one hospital, while I'm in another hospital but for a change it's my husband's appointment and not mine. This is the follow up after his gall bladder flare up! This hospital has bad reviews for waiting times which can be up to 3 hours or more! There's even a permanent sign in the waiting rooms that say this and asks for patients to be patient! Bah! So far we have never waited under 2hours 30 minutes, maybe we'll break the 2hour barrier later!!! (Not)

Hope you are in and out with no hold ups!

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to anndanv

Glad you got home Daloni after a long day, I dont think they would throw you off the trial if the piriton sorts you out quickly, i hope not anyway. All the best. Lynn 2 xxx

• FormerMember

The saga continues! You must all be bored rigid by now but it helps me to write it down. So bear with me.

Today was pre op day. It’s a 40 minute drive to Maidstone Hospital and you have to leave a good 15 minutes to find a parking space. I got there in time, found a parking space near enough that I only had to stop three times to recover to keep walking, thinking “I should dig out that old walking stick” as I went. 

The clinic was running on time. Usual questions and then “have you stayed overnight in a London hospital in the last year?”. Well yes. Several times, including this week.  In that case, said the sister, we need a CRE test to check if you’ve picked up a superbug. We need three stool samples, each 48 hours apart....which of course means the op scheduled for Monday will have to be postponed. And the consultant insists he wants to do this one himself. His next operating list with a slot available is November 11. 

Cue temper tantrum as this felt totally avoidable with just a tiny bit of pre planning. I could have done the pre op at any time since this was designated urgent on October 1. They run a drop in clinic for heavens same!  Cue threat to make official complaint. “I know it’s not your fault and I am sorry you’re getting the brunt of my anger,” I told the poor sister. “That’s ok but please don’t make a complaint,” she said. “It causes so much work for us.” Fair point. Think I won’t. Cue series of calls and texts to stand down the various friends who had offered lifts, daughter care etc etc. Aaargh! 

On the upside....nope. Can’t think of one. 

On a more positive note, it’s my niece’s wedding this weekend. It’s going to be great. I’m determined to have fun regardless. The pooh collection can wait until next week. 

xx

• FormerMember

I’m angry on your behalf Daloni. I can see why you might want to make a complaint but then, as the sister said, it causes more work for people who have absolutely no control over the situation. The wedding will be great, I’m sure, then you can get out those lolly sticks and start collecting.

• FormerMember

A giant aaaaaaargh on your behalf,that’s just not good enough! The nhs is great in so many ways but it’s processes and admin are awful and so unjointed up sometimes, it must waste so much money but more importantly it’s no way to treat people.

there is nothing good to say but at least you have another date I suppose, and the grand poobah hinself doing it, so that is something xxx