Cabozantinib sore mouth

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 4 replies
  • 41 subscribers

Hi, been on Cabozantinib for 4 weeks now and the sore mouth, tongue has decided to kick in bad, it’s making my whole jaw ache and I have gagged with salt water and have mouthwash to supposedly help. I’m on 40mg just hoping this gets better or calms down soon. Anyone on this treatment that can advise? 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi

I am sorry to hear how you’re struggling with a sure mouth. I can’t help practically as I haven’t experienced this but wanted to send you a gentle hug 

xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Morning Daisy,

I'm not on the same treatment, but suffered badly with mouth ulcers & sore tongue on Everolimus. One thing that has helped is using SLS free toothpaste. Sodium Lauryl Sulphate is the chemical in toothpaste that creates the foaming action, but it can irritate oral tissues.

It's made a big difference, I use the Sensodyne one, but there are others. Might be worth a try. Good luck!

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hi Daisy

Have you tried gelclair? It’s a concentrated mouthwash that comes In sachets. The oncology nurse gave me some to try when my mouth was really sore then my gp prescribed it. It isn’t a miracle cure but it really helps. If you use it an hour before a meal it makes it easier to eat. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hi maybug 

thanks for that information i’m Seeing oncologist this Wednesday so will ask as the mouthwash she gave even if watered down stings to much