Ever decreasing circles

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 4 replies
  • 3 subscribers

Definition 

it means to follow the same routine over and over again whilst getting worse results each time. "To go round in circles" is to repeat things without ever achieving anything. If the circles are always getting smaller (ever-decreasing) things get worse each time.

When I was first diagnosed with a incurable and in all cases terminal blood cancer along with dialysis dependant kidney failure I knew survival was going to bring with it a high level of compromise and a completely different way of life. Now 20 months on and the treatment is no longer working and I am in the final stages of the disease I’ve come to realise how small my life has become. Just functioning on a daily basis takes a gargantuan effort and I’ve come to agree with my various doctors that maybe I should do something better with my time than attending the endless hospital appointments and kidney dialysis. So after many tears I’ve decided to have my dialysis line removed in the next few weeks and use the free time to be at home with my husband. My anaemia is such that it has sapped me of the energy to carry out ordinary everyday tasks which I find painful and I would rather spend my time getting a transfusion just to allow me to function. Frankly I’m tired of being a box that must be ticked and sometimes I’m left feeling that some of the things that are recommended to me are a arse covering exercise and not necessarily to benefit me directly. I don’t sit in judgement of individual doctors in this regard it’s just the way the system works but sometimes you have to detached yourself from the protocols and make your own decisions. I’ve recently finished reading being mortal by doctor atul gawande and this has helped guide me in making the right choices for me. The fact that death is natural consequence of life is explored in detail in this book and has removed many of psychological barriers for me and enabled me to face up to things.

I’m so lucky that both my husband and I are on the same page and so I don’t have the added burden of pressure to continue with futile treatment to alleviate his distress. It has compounded my belief that more support of a holistic nature is needed to support patients as they set out on their journey with cancer when a cure is never on the table.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Jane, I know what you mean about ever decreasing circles, it does describe where we are.  I hope the decision to stop dialysis has brought some relief with it as well as the tears.  We are often making unimaginably difficult decisions at this point, I’m glad you and your husband are a support to each other but I am sending you some hugs from here also at what must be a difficult time,

love heather xxx

• It sounds as though you and your husband are at peace with your decision.

It must have been challenging and difficult in so many ways and I hope it brings peace and comfort to you both.

Sending you much love and a gentle hug xx

Tinalay 
    Every bad situation is a blues song waiting to happen.
    Amy Winehouse.
  • Yours is a brave and wise decision which must have taken some courage to make. I hope I am as able to make the right decision when the time approaches for me. Life at any cost is not something I subcribe to. It is quality, not length which matters. I think yours has been a quality one just from your posts on this forum, never mind anything else.

Much love

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to ownedbystaffies

Thank you all for your kind words it means a lot to me. The logical part of my brain is telling me I’m doing the right thing but as you can imagine the emotional side of me is trying to counter it. However the evidence of the logical decision is overwhelming and is supported by all my doctors. Ultimately it’s my responsibility to ensure I try to get the ending I want, it’s a dilemma all of us will face at some point, there’s no get out of jail free card in cancer.