What matters in the end.

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 2 replies
  • 1 subscriber

Some of you In the end of life group may like to listen to this podcast, it lasts a hour but you can listen to it in chunks. I found it very helpful and informative.

https://onbeing.org/programs/atul-gawande-what-matters-in-the-end/

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Rather than listen to the whole podcast, I skimmed through the transcript and read what I felt were the most relevant paragraphs. If we are fighting to stay alive, what are we really fighting for? Mere survival, getting through each day to face the next one? Or do we have a purpose or goal. Something that makes us happy each day.

Maybe if we no longer have that goal, it's no longer worth the discomfort of the treatment. Some will have a family that makes it worthwhile. Though one man said he really just wanted to be quiet and read a book, despite having a large family. If health and independence were our main purpose in life before, then it's hard to accept these things are no longer possible and need to be replaced with something else. 

Quality of life needs to be considered as well as quantity.

People mention to me trivial things I could do to pass the time and take my mind off my situation. But I feel that is different to giving me a purpose in life. If you are going through pain or exhaustion from your treatment, then these 'time passers' do not seem to me adequate reason to keep going. But that is just my opinion.

Tessa

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Dear I’m glad the podcast resonated with you. I agree with you that the passing the time approach is no use to some people. I get my motivation from the relationships I have made at the hospice, they place a value on what I bring to the group with my silly jokes and enthusiasm for crafting despite being hopeless at it. For me my motivation is not extending my life but enhancing it and grabbing with both arms any opportunities to receive comfort from others. Also I don’t want my husband to be left with bad memories of me doing things that will make me ill to get extra time, he is adamant that I don’t do that on his account.