Spain...anyone else

• 47 replies
  • 11 subscribers

Diagnosed with cancer anyone else here from Spain. Anyone else considering returning to UK for treatment?

• I’m not too bad. I’ve had nausea no real vomiting. I lost my hair following week three so I shaved it totally !  I find the first five days pretty bad.my BP drops a lot and I feel very dizzy, today I almost had a blackout but not quite, I’ve just competed by third and I think this time was slight worse. I keep a diary, with the symptoms and a scale factor. It’s amazing how you can actually preempt problems, I know for instance two days later I need to take prophylactic laxatives for three days.... that on day 3-6 I’ll have increasing pain but it will start to diminish, I find that helpful to focus on what’s coming, I still moan though LOL. I’m having treatment every three weeks, my next one is on the 2nd February followed by a scan and the. Possibly a different chemo drug as my cancer is rare although not unusual as in they do not know where the main cancer is hiding.  Stay in touch 

• Hi all

I’m here in Spain being treated for colon Cancer with metastases to liver.. Very good health care ( admin not so , but we all know this Wink). I live on Costa Blanca (North). Great to make contact with others in similar situations. 

just had colon tumor removed and colon resected. All well and I was particularly impressed with the way my hospital handled it considering they got hit with an avalanche of COVID admissions the weekend I was there. I was in isolation throughout my post-op stay to protect me. 

now at home recovering. Look forward to hearing from others in this group.

• Hi Purplemurph have to agree, healthcare is superb admin awful.  Having said that I nursed in the U.K. for 30+ years admin had its failing there as well.  Glad you are recovering well.  Glad I’m connecting with more and more of us living in Spain. When you are sick and living overseas healthcare can be daunting.  Take care, stay safe and keep in touch

• How are you doing .... I’m due again Tuesday 

• Hi Purplemurph wishing you a speedy recovery and good to hear your op went ahead despite the covid craziness! I feel grateful for the speediness of my treatment that's for sure. I had my second chemo this week, ended up vomiting when I got home but just think my meal was too rich. The admin is crazy isn't it but you cannot fault the health care system. I am in gran canaria so my husband has to take me on an hours drive for all appointments and treatment but it is what it is. He shaved my hair off a few days ago so getting used to wearing my bandanas and mask and sunglasses when I go out. Well that's exhausting in itself! Big hugs you got this love Biibi4 xxxx

• Hi Zarasmum! How are you? Hope all goes well Tuesday! What are you using to moisturise your hair? Mine isnt completely bald got some stubble so not sure what to put on it. Sending lots of love and hugs xxxx

• Hi,  well I’ve no hair left at all... I use an organic baby shampoo from carrefour, and a basic olive oil moisturiser. Yes we have an hours drive, husband drops me off at 8am.. I have bloods taken, see oncologist and then start chemo, usually finish at about 5pm. It’s a long day!   The first 7/8 days are the worst.. gradually gets better and then starts again.... fourth session Tuesday four more to go 

• Hi Zarasmum gosh your day sounds madder than mine! But we do ours over 2 days. Bloods in the morning next time I am leaving at 6.15am so I get there for when its open, my friend is coming with me as my TIE card should be ready as my residencia was falling to bits so decided to sort that out before christmas. Then my husband has to take me back that evening to see the oncologist then we go back the next day for the chemo. I worked out all my treatment will carry on until march next year! I am going to carrefour tomorrow as long as I feel ok so will check out the shampoo rhankyou. I had the worst nights sleep friday night but slept loads better last night. Will be thinking of you Tuesday! X

• Hi i also live in spain near malaga , i was diagnosed quite by accident in april 2019 due to tests following a dvt and subsequent pulminary embolism, i had no prior symptons so was shocked when informed of my tumour which is in my left lung ,it is none small cell .i was informed of a clinical trial that i could join so i agreed .i had 4 heavy chemo sessions followed by maintenance doses every 3 weeks along with the trial drugs ,also periodic tac scans , my tumour continued to shrink on my last appointment which was in early december i was told i was in remission  followed by a scan ,my next appointment is next friday february 5th so fingers crossed alls still positive