Fatigue

• 2 replies
  • 31 subscribers

Hi

Need some advice. I finished 5 days of radiotherapy on Friday 19th August. Following breast cancer being diagnosed in a routine mammogram which required surgery. I worked Through my radiotherapy treatment without any problems then I broke my leg on the Wednesday. I am absolutely exhausted sleeping day and night  and feel drained following a shower.  I didn’t think I would feel this way after a  short period of radiotherapy and wondered if anyone  can give me an idea of their recovery journey. I have kids at school and my husband is doing the best he can  working full time and running the house I just need some advice is there anything that you have all done to help beat the fatigue to get you back on your feet quicker. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

I'm sorry to read that you're struggling with fatigue after radiotherapy for breast cancer. I didn't suffer with this but I'm going to recommend that you join the breast cancer forum where you'll connect directly with others who have suffered with fatigue after breast cancer treatment.

To join, just click on the link I've created and, once you've joined, you can start a new post in the same way as you did here and join in with existing conversations by clicking on 'reply'.

You may also find this information from Macmillan on fatigue helpful.

It would be great if you could put something about your diagnosis and treatment to date into your profile as it really helps others when replying to you and also when looking for someone on a similar pathway. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi Physically challenged

Congratulations on being able to work through your radiotherapy that is amazing. I had a 6 week course of radiotherapy for jaw cancer and found after 2 weeks I had to go on sick leave as the treatment was just too brutal to be able to go on. One of the side effects after treatment was extreme fatigue. I suffered from this and it took about 3 months before it came good. Just the thought of walking to the letter box in the front garden or having a shower was exhausting. It didn't matter how much sleep I got it didn't change it. It takes time to get over the fatigue as your body has taken a bashing. I used to feel unsteady on my feet for a while and used to hold onto my husband's arm when we went out as I was afraid I would fall over. I did find that a short walk each day did help but it was not a quick recovery.

You need time to get over the radiotherapy. Is it possible to take some sick leave? I'm sure your work would be sympathetic. My work let me do a phased return and were very supportive.

It does get better but you can't rush it and you need to listen to your body. Rest when you need to. I used to do a small task around the house and then needed a rest.

Sending my best wishes

Lyn

Sophie66