Work related question

• 4 replies
  • 34 subscribers

My employer wants a capability meeting with me.I finished active treatment August 23 after completing a year of chemo,surgery,rads and then oral chemotherapy.ive had few setbacks with recovery, my breast implant capsulated n I'm getting physio for hip pain bought on by chemical induced menopause and am also getting physio (just started) on my affected arm.Ive told my employer this but because I've been off 77weeks I'm told they want to still proceed withe the capability meeting. Any advice anyone? 

• Hi  and welcome to this corner of the community.

I have no experience in this area but let’s look for any members with experience to pick up on your post.

Yoj may want to call the Macmillan Support Line open 8am-8pm (timings may differ across services) 7 days a week on 0808 808 00 00 as you can talk this through with one of our employment support advisers.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Thanks for the advice Highlander,much appreciated. 

• Hi Hawk

I live in Australia so things may work a bit differently here. It sounds a bit like a performance appraisal to me. We had these annually where I used to work. It boils down to looking at your job description and seeing if you are meeting the performance indicators. If not then having a plan put in place to work out why and help achieve them within a given time frame.

Can you study your job description and see if there are any areas where you might struggle to meet the performance indicators and what you can do to work on them if there is an issue. Unfortunately for management it is usually about making the budget work and they need all their employees to be working to their full capacity. A transition plan when returning to work is often put in place after a lengthy time away due to ill health as long as you feel confident that you can get back up to speed in time. If you belong to a Union they will be able to give you advice.

Hope things work out for you.

Lyn

Sophie66

• There are a couple of things to consider as much depends on what your conditions of employment are and if you are now able to return to work with reasonable adjustments.  Employers have a duty to support you if you have been diagnosed with cancer and you may be covered under the Disability Discrimination Act.  If you are not capable of doing the job you are employed to carry out, they may send you for an Occupational Health assessment.  
    A lot will depend on your age and the outcome of the Occ Health Assessment. You may get Ill Health Retirement if you are old enough! 
     I would seek advice from a Trade Union if you are a member or take a colleague or friend or family member with you.  Legal advice can be expensive but it may be worth it to make sure you are treated fairly.  

Jac

Life is what happens when you are making other plans!