Life can be good again after cancer

• 1 reply
  • 32 subscribers

Hi Everyone. It is now 10 hears since my first cancer diagnosis in 2013 when I had my first major op and radiotherapy for cancer of the jaw. I subsequently had another 2 major ops in 2019 with more radiotherapy and another major op in 2022. I was left with no upper jaw and had reconstructive surgery in  Feb 2023. I  am currently cancer free. I have adjusted to a new normal life in relation to eating and am feeling optimistic about the future. . I  just had my 70th. birthday and decided to have a party  as I am so happy to have made it to 70 and wanted to celebrate that milestone. It was a 70's disco themed party. My son in law was the DJ and played all the old 70's music and we sang along and danced. We all dressed up in 70's costume and had 70's themed food. I managed to eat the Black Forest birthday cake and trifle but the other food was off limits as too difficult to manage. Everyone enjoyed the prawn cocktails and fondue. My granddaughter Sophie helped me blow out the candles as I no longer have any puff left since my ops. It was a day to remember and celebrate.

I would like to thank my wonderful surgeon who has been with me every step of the way since 2013 and also the wonderful Head and Neck Forum that has given me so much support. Life can still be great after cancer albeit slightly different it just takes some time to adjust but we all get there in the end.

Wishing you all the very best for the future.

Lyn

• Hi Lyn  great post and a great encouragement to many who are wondering if there is a ‘life to live’ post treatments.

You have been through a lot but you have pushed through and come out the other side.

Your 70th party looks great and made better being surrounded by family….. and great that you enjoyed your cake - it looks amazing.

We have 4 granddaughters, one is local so see her often but the other 3 stay in Surrey (we live in Inverness) so don’t see them much but they all arrive this Friday and we have them for a week so we will have a great time…. Although we will be exhausted by the end Joy

Kick off your shoes and enjoy your new life to the full….. you deserve it ((hugs))

Thus is our four girls Heart eyes

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge