Peripheral Neuropathy

• 11 replies
  • 31 subscribers

I have had 6 cycles of FOLFOX for colorectal cancer this year,which I completed in late April.I was pleased to get an all clear from my Oncologist.During my treatment I experienced numbness,tingling, jangling sensations in my fingers each cycle for several days especially in very cold situations.Then when treatment finished I was back to normal in my hands.Now however almost 3 months later my feet and my hands are affected by numbness,tingling,mild electric shock feelings etc...I did not expect to be experiencing these side effects weeks after the end of my treatment.Has anybody else been affected in a similar way and if so how have you coped with it.I believe its called Peripheral Neuropathy and may not get better which is quite depressing..

• Hi  and I see that this is your first post so welcome to this corner of the Macmillan Community.

Sorry to hear this but Peripheral Neuropathy (PN) is a real pain....... I have a different type of cancer and treatment journey but after my main 2 years treatment my PN lasted for a good 2 years before I could say it was all gone but even now being 7 years 9 months out from my last treatment I still experience stiffness in my hands especially during the winter months.

I was told to get a few stress balls and would sit in an evening watching TV and be working my hands, getting the blood flowing and exercising the muscles and nerves in my hands.

My feet were ok but the people who I have talked with have found using balls under their feet and rocking their feet back and forward and this had the same effect as the stress balls in the hands. 

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Thankyou Mike for your warm welcome and reply to my problem.Its great to know that I'm now on the Forum as I wasnt sure if U had completed all the steps! I have some of those stress balls and will certainly give them a go.I will also try lots of self physiotherapy to keep the nerves active.I was glad to hear that after 2 years your symptoms lessened abe I hope mine do too.

• I have lived with and been treated for my incurable blood cancer (Non Hodgkin’s Lymphoma) for over 24 years and the treatments used are rather different but I do see that you have already joined our dedicated Bowel (colon and rectum) cancer support group……it would be worth posting in there as well as you will get first hand experience from people who have had the exact same treatment. 

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge

• OK Mike,I will see if I can locate the site!

• Just kick on the text directly below

Bowel (colon and rectum) cancer 

…… then once the group page opens you can introduce yourself by clicking “+new” or “+” in the top right next to the group title and you are ready to go.

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Maria. There was an online support event on the bowel cancer uk board which you can catch up with online - I’ve not watched it but it may be helpful?

https://www.bowelcanceruk.org.uk/how-we-can-help/supportevents/previous-online-support-events/

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm
  • Thank you Karen for the link .I watched the programme and it was helpful but it does not seem to describe how severe and upsetting I think the symptoms are in my case.I have only been experiencing these symptoms for a couple of weeks and they are getting worse.I sleep intermittently  during the night and in a lot of discomfort on fact I now dread going to bed.Have you any experience of CINP?.I would like to speak to another person who knows what it is like.Thank you.Rita D.

• Hello again Highlander.It was very nice of you to reply to me and now a few days later I am experiencing worse symptoms .The hot and the cold in my feet is very difficult at night.I sleep off and on all night and get very distressed.Did yo have this.I went on the bowel cancer forum but there are only a few posts about this.My GP says she could give me a drug to help but the side effects may not be worth it.

You said that you suffered for 2 years but then it resolved itself.Did it stay the same during the 2 years?

Thank you for any help and and personal experience you can share with me.

Kind Regards 

Rita D   Maria)

• Hi Rita  it’s so frustrating that the post treatment ‘left overs’ can come along. We endure the treatment to then be left with other demanding challenges.

As I said my feet were ok….. so don’t have specific experience of this….. over the two years the level of discomfort in my hands and at times up my arms came and went….. but eventually it all got to the point that my mind was not thinking about what was left and further down the line I realised it was gone.

Are you able to get out for a walk and walk comfortably-ish?……. I think that most of the time it’s down to getting the blood flowing and the nerves exercised Smirk

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge

• Thanks Mike.I just whizzed through your Chemo journey and am absolutely in awe of you ,your resilience and positivity.Amazing that you have survived what you have gone through and so pleased for you that you are still living a quality life and have a wonderful family. I feel pathetic when I read your story.Have to go out now but will reply more later.Cheers Mike.Have a good day!!