How to cope with the fear?

• 1 reply
  • 30 subscribers

Hello everyone,

It's been a little bit since i've been here, I hope everyone is well. 

I was wondering if I could reach out again to see how people cope with the fear of cancer returning - especially if you know that if it does, that's the end for you.
My type of cancer (Renal, entire kidney removed) was very rare and rather aggressive. They say if it does return (As it was just on the cusp of T3, unsure if it spread) it will be a case of palliative care. They won't be able to cure me since it has gotten into my blood stream.

I can feel myself slipping into an almost denial-like mental state. I keep saying to myself, "No, you'll be fine, it's not coming back." I know it's just me trying to cope. However, everytime I start to think about it and think "Gosh, what if it does though?" my brain shuts down. I don't want to be unprepared for the possibility of having my life cut short (I'm 27 yrs old). It all just feels so bloody unfair.

So, how does anyone reading this in a similar situation cope with it?

Thanks all

• Hi  and welcome across to this corner of the community.

Navigating the cancer journey can be such a challenge. I was diagnosed way back in 1999 at 43 just as my career as a university lecturer was developing and my two girls were leaving home for university.

I was diagnosed with a rare incurable type of blood cancer and there was no indication as to what would happen when my condition kicked off and it did a number of times but we managed to control it…… then in late 2013 it aggressively kicked off and if the treatment plan did not work then I had a few years on the clock…. well the plan worked and I am still here getting on with life and I am not living continually looking over my shoulder looking for my cancer to show its face again.

My whole family have been part of the journey and we refuse to let the fear of my cancer returning define how we live…… we define how we live….. and we live life to the full.

Corrie Ten Boom once said….. Worrying is carrying tomorrow’s load with today’s strength - carrying two days at once. It is moving into tomorrow ahead of time. Worrying doesn’t empty tomorrow of its sorrow, it empties today of its strength

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge