Feeling stuck

• 1 reply
  • 30 subscribers

Thus is my first time on this forum. I am feeling stuck and not sure what to do. I have returned to work after my last chemotherapy treatment was November 2022.

My body aches and I feel like I my body has aged. 

• Hi  and welcome to this corner of the community. It us indeed challenging to get back to some sort of normality following treatment…… what ever that normality ends up being like.

You are ‘only’ about 4 months out from treatment so your body is still dealing with the shock of treatment so it often takes far longer then you would think to fully recover.

Body aches months after treatment are often caused by our muscle mass starting to rebuild. During treatment we are often less active so our muscles tend to stiffen up.

My Consultant told me that going through treatments like these is like doing a boxing match and a marathon every day over the months of treatments and this was done without any training.

Think doing the London Marathon without any training and you had to finish it as your life depended on it……. this is the journey you have been on so it most likely will take much longer than you would think to get back to some normality - it took me a good 2 years and I was 60 at the start of my recuperation……. but I am 5.5 years on from that pint and doing great.

What steps have you take to move this forward?….. I enrolled in a weekly post cancer focused circuits class at my local Maggie's Centre and that was the turning point for me.

You may find it helpful to make a cuppa and have a look at this great paper After Treatment Finishes - Then What? by Dr Peter Harvey as it highlights the post treatment milestones.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge