Massage after surgery

• 5 replies
  • 32 subscribers

Hey,

I was wondering if anyone has had a massage to help with pain / numbness around their surgery site?

I had a lumpectomy for breast cancer back in September & October 2021 so it’s fully healed but it still doesn’t feel 100% normal & sometimes I get a congested feeling around my shoulder blade. 

Has anyone had a massage to help with this? If so, what type did you go for?

TIA

Janine

• Hi Janine  and I see it’s your first post so warm welcome to the Online Community.

I don’t have an answer for you but for a specific question like this I would always talk with my medical professionals as they know you and your treatment best.

let’s see if anyone in the group is looking in but this is a general group covering all cancers so may not get the same ‘cancer type’ connection but I do see you have also joined our supportive Breast cancer support group.

This group is a safe place to ask questions and get support from people who have walked the same exact journey.

We also have our Ask an Expert section but do allow a few working days for a reply.

((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Thanks Mike. I will try that too Slight smile

• Hi Janine,

I don't have an answer for your situation but I recently went away for a weekend and booked a massage. I filled in the forms when I got there and stated that I have stage 4 cancer and they said they couldn't do it, they didn't want to disturb any lymph glands. They also said that some beauticians/massage therapists can treat people with cancer but they need to have done an extra course and certification. Not sure if this helps but that's my experience of it. Instead of the massage I had a facial.

A x

What is a Community Champion?

I am a Macmillan volunteer. 

Macmillan Support Helpline

0808 808 00 00 

7 days a week between 8am -8pm

• Yes people get freaked out about it (rightly so i guess).

I was contemplating leaving that out but my scars would give it away probably. 

Hope your facial was good. 

• Hello Fellow Survivors,

I'm nine years clear and have had treatments in Germany, The Czech Republic, Spain and regularly with a local therapist in Scotland. I had a very similar experience about 10 days ago at ESPA Slieve Sonard, Northern Ireland.  Here's an extract from the email I sent them - I'm awaiting a reply.

A therapist came for me and led me to a treatment room where I was informed that I could not have the treatment package I requested because I was a cancer survivor.  The therapist said they had tried to contact me but could not get through to my mobile number.  I do not believe there was any effort made to contact me.  In spite of my mentioning this at the time of booking, there was no mention of ESPA's policy on working with cancer survivors made at the time of booking, check-in or registration. Having had three occasions to inform me of ESPA's policy, to receive this information when sitting in a therapy room, post steam room and sauna, wearing a bathrobe left me feeling deceived, vulnerable and under pressure to make an uninformed decision.  A choice of alternative treatments were offered to me verbally, with no visual reference to inform my choice.  

Has anyone else had a similar experience?