Coping with side affects of treatment

• 2 replies
  • 31 subscribers

Hi,

it was quite some time ago I was sick, 4 years old. My parents did the best for me which I appreciate but I’m finding that for the past few years I’m struggling to be ok with myself. Im now 32 and I am extremely lonely. All of my close friends are getting married and having kids. I’m not comfortable talking to them about it as it’s my issue. Does anyone have any advice on deal with affects of radio/kemo therapy?

regards

• Hi  and a warm welcome to the Online Community but so sorry to see you joining us….. but can I send you some warm Christmas greetings.

A cancer journey is such a stressful and challenging time but you have done the right thing in reaching out to a place where you can ask questions and getting support from others who are on the ‘exact’ same cancer journey.

As you see the Community is divided into support groups (discussion rooms), I personally have had a lot of chemo and radiotherapy over my years so I do understand the side-effects can be challenging…… but it can also be different depending on your type of cancer so can I suggest you look through THIS LIST where you will find all our many dedicated cancer support groups listed. These groups are safe places to talk to others with a similar diagnosis, treatment experience, to ask questions and get support.

If you'd like to connect in with a group click on the (Bold) Link I have created above and look for the group for your cancer type. Once the group page opens click on the black banner that says [click to join] at the bottom, or the [Join] button under "Group tools."

You can then introduce yourself by putting up a ‘new post’ by clicking in the box near the top right with + New or + (Depending on the device you are using) and you are ready to go. You could copy and paste the text from this post into your new post.

The Macmillan Support Line is open from 8am-8pm (timings may differ across services) 7 days a week on 0808 808 00 00 where you can talk with someone about specific cancer and practical information, get emotional support, benefits/financial guidance or just connect with a listening ear.

You may want to ask the Help Line team if they have any information about support centres in your area as talking with others can help a lot.

We also have our Ask an Expert section but do allow a few working days for a reply.

We also have our Telephone Buddy Service where you can be matched with someone who understands what you're going through, and they'll give you a weekly call.

Do get back to me if you need further help.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hi NewryNI, childhood cancer can leave a legacy behind for sure and you can carry it around you for a long time.  Even when the radiotherapy or chemo has ended the psychological side effects can be stifling.

I've a neighbour who's daughter had treatment for leukaemia when she was quite young. She's stil experiencing mental health issues now in her twenties. Adjusting to life after treatment is extremely difficult.

It may be worth contacting Macmillan to access their six free counselling sessions, talking may assist. X