What a year!

• 7 replies
  • 30 subscribers

Hi my name is Michele. I was diagnosed with stage 4 signet ring stomach cancer in November’21, with no symptoms, but found having a routine endoscopy due to ibs…I had 4 rounds of FLOT starting in December through to February, then my stomach removed in April. I had a further 4 rounds of FLOT, June to July. That’s my treatment finished and I was told I do not need anymore scans etc, as I had 30 lymph node biopsies done in April and they all came back negative… I am so so grateful of nothing else being found, and that my operation and chemo sort of went ok. (Give or take lots of sickness etc). I’ve lost 3 stone in weight but it’s stabilised now… eating has got easier remembering to chew lots and eat only small meals…    I was also told by my consultant I can return to work in the new year if I’m up to it, which I think I am (lot fitter than before all this happened) and I want to get back to normality. I’m just so worried I won’t be able to cope mentally with the thought of the cancer returning!!! Also my ‘life line’ of care has been cut so I feel so nervous… I’ve been positive all the way through this from the beginning, probably as I was secretly in denial maybe… It’s suddenly just hit me it’s all over and I’m in remission…. 
Michele 

• Hi Michele  and welcome to this little corner of the community.

You have been on some journey and it's great that there is some light at the end of the tunnel......... but it's hard to get your head round that that light could be something coming along to hit you.

I have an incurable blood cancer, first diagnosed way back in 1999........ I have had over 17 years of treatment - all very complicated (See my story) but eventually I achieving remission back in Sep 2016 and was discharged by my team in June 2018 with the words "get on and live life..... you deserve this" ....... so I am living the dream.

Now you need to navigate your way forward..... as a staring tool you may find it helpful to make a cuppa and have a look at this great paper After Treatment Finishes - Then What? by Dr Peter Harvey as it highlights the post treatment milestones.

Do have a read and come back with your thoughts ((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Mike, thank you for your reply! I’ve just read your story and my word you’ve definitely been on one big journey bless you.. I will have a wee read now of the paper. Once again thank you for reaching out to me…I will definitely get on with my life, just need a wee kick to get into action…by the way I live just down the road in Forres… 

Take care 

Michele 

• Hi Michele, small world.

If you can do it I recommend you look at the ‘Where now?’ run at the Inverness Maggie's Centre….. I found it very helpful.

Do get back once you have looked at the paper.

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Mike, I will get back thank you.. 

Michele 

• Hi Mike, I’ve been meaning to message back. I read that paper it was great, really puts every feeling into perspective. Thank you for sharing it to me… 

Michele 

• Hi Michele, good that you found the paper helpful.

I always challenge folks to become proactive after reading through it and using it as a vehicle for change and life improvement.

So why not get a note book or some sheets of paper and put pen to paper - it is a good way forward.

So a page per subject heading. Start detailing the things you have done already to move life on in each area and then start to set some achievable goals to work towards. 

When you achieve the first goal on each lists, tick it off and then put a new goal at the bottom of the list. By doing this you can actually see your progress and celebrate achievements. When I say celebrate I do mean giving yourself treats and gifts........ you have life - celebrate it.

The headings would be:

What steps am I taking to regain trusts in my body?

What steps am I taking to regain trust in myself?

What steps am I taking to overcome living with uncertainty?

What steps am I taking to deal with the world?

What steps am I taking to regain mastery and control of my life?

Try it, the future is sitting in front of you - think about driving a car. The big windscreen shows the future, the past is in the little mirrors and is getting smaller and more fuzzy as we move forward.....if you concentrate on the past you crash.

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge

• Thank you again I will definitely try this… 

Thanks 

Michele