Income protection insurance or similar

• 2 replies
  • 30 subscribers

I'm two years post diagnosis of Stage 3 melanoma (skin lesion an small lymph node tumour), and I'm almost one year after finishing immunotherapy. All CT scans clear, and feeling like my life is returning to normal (with occasional moments of dread). 

I have a very good employer with good sick pay, health insurance and critical illness cover. However I am now changing jobs to one which does not, so thinking about attempting to take out some kind of personal cover in case cancer returns and I am unable to work (I already have life insurance taken out pre-cancer). 

Does anyone have any experience of this? Is it possible? 

Would appreciate any feedback.

Sam.

• Hi , I was diagnosed with a rare Blood Cancer back in 1999. I had existing cover through my Mortgage Insurance and through my employer. I had to take medical retirement so lost that cover and a few years later my Mortgage was paid of so my insurance stopped.......... I have not been able to get any further cover over the past 11 years. My cancer is incurable but I have been in remission for over 6 years and this had made no difference to getting any cover.

You need to get some professional advise on this so do put your question up on our Ask a Financial Guide in our Ask an Expert section but do allow a few working days for a reply.

I do hope you can get something in place.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Thanks so much for the response and the advice. I will post it in the ask a financial guide.