Feeling down

• 1 reply
  • 28 subscribers

Hi, I finished chemo 6 months ago, I had triple negative breast cancer, mastectomy then 8 rounds of chemo. Its been tough but I have been positive throughout. After treatment I was very weak and had lost alot of weight, I joined the gym and after a few months felt so well again, full of energy, put a bit of weight back on, getting my life back but a few weeks ago I started to feel unwell, no appetite, on the loo all the time, no energy, struggle to finish a task not really feeling with it and oh so tearful all the time. I get married in 3 weeks and everything in my life is good but I can't help feeling that I'm not going to be here much longer and it's so not like me. I've been to Dr's today and she's sending me for a full blood test checking everything . How can I stop feeling so sad and miserable? X

• Hi  and welcome to our little corner of the community. First congratulations in getting through your treatment and out the other end and a big congratulations on your upcoming marriage.

The final third of the cancer journey can be as hard, even harder than the first 2 two thirds.

The first third is everything to do with getting a diagnosis and the stress and anxiety getting to the point of treatment. The middle third is the treatment, yes it’s hard work but you go through this along with the ‘safety blanket’ of regular contact with your clinical teams as well as a routine……… then bang……. you are into the ‘post treatment’ world and most people are not ready for this…….. and the NHS System tends not to have the money, time and staff to get this part right.

During the first two thirds our bodies go through so much and once we finish treatment it like ‘let’s get some normality’ back.

The initial burst if enthusiasm and adrenaline often tends to lead to a dip as your body can only take so much before it’s starts to complain and with this our minds go into overdrive and we can end up going down a rabbit trail…… and it can be hard to big yourself out.

but I can't help feeling that I'm not going to be here much longer and it's so not like me

I can understand these feelings…… especially not being far out of treatments. I have been on my cancer journey with a rare blood cancer that is incurable, yes I am now coming up to 6 years in remission but up until Sep 2016 I had relapsed multiply times with the longest remission being 9 months before going onto more treatment……. The initial ‘doom’ was overwhelming…. but as time went on I started to trust and understand my body and able to develop a ‘future’ mindset…… yes ‘I have a future!!’

I am going to give you simple task - please make a cuppa and have a good look at this great paper After Treatment Finishes - Then What? by Dr Peter Harvey as it highlights the post treatment milestones.

Then once you have done this come back with your thoughts ((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge