Looking to move jobs after/with cancer.

• 2 replies
  • 34 subscribers

I had a total thyroidectomy 17 months ago. I have a visible scar across my neck, and although recent scans show no more cancer in my neck, my blood work suggests there might be. 

I really want to move jobs, but am unsure how to approach a new employer. Should I be up front about it at an interview stage? 

Does anyone have any experience with this situation as I'm not sure how best to go about this.

• Hi , I have never been in this situation so have no experience to bring to the table but I did search through the posts to our Work Place Advisers and found this reply to someone asking the same basic question.

Hit the following link community.macmillan.org.uk/.../new-job

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• @ Thehighlander. BTW joked about looking like the Kurgan with 22 staples in my neck post op...lol. Thanks for the response. It's roughly what I had found when it comes to the law side, but the possibility of companies possibly having a positive outlook on this is encouraging. It's something you would hope companies are getting better at given the chances of people developing cancer.