Treatment ending soon.

• 2 replies
  • 35 subscribers

Hi, just wondering how others felt as they approached their last treatment? I'm feeling scared and a little lost plus worried that now the cancer will come back (currently NED)

• Hi  and welcome across to this corner of the community.

I see a cancer journey being in thirds, the first third is the early days of ‘something is wrong?’ GP appointments, referral more tests and a diagnosis. The second third is the treatment times…….. the final third is the one you are now in - the post treatment world.

The final third will be ever so different for everyone. I can only talk about my journey. I have a rare incurable type of skin Non Hodgkin’s Lymphoma and back in Sep 2016 I was told NED…..Tada 

But up until then the longest period of remission I had ever had was about 9 months before going into more treatment……. this lasted 17 years (I was diagnosed back in 1999) but I am now coming up to 6 years NED and living the dream.

My cancer may well show its face again and I am very high up the skin cancer at ‘risk list’ as I have had over 900 skin treatment/Dermatology appointments and 45 radiotherapy sessions (that does not include all the other treatments - see my profile)……but my overriding aim in all this is to live life to the full and enjoy life…….. let’s face it, I have worked rather hard to get to this point. 

It’s natural to worrying about the ‘what if’s?’……. but my advice for what it’s worth is to concentrate on the ‘what now’s?’……. 

Why waste your life worrying about something that may not happen……. yes I relapsed multiply times but my hope was always looking for that long term remission……. but in the in between remission/bone treatment times I lived life.

Navigating the early days of the NED world takes some time and perseverance. You may find it helpful to make a cuppa and have a look at this great paper After Treatment Finishes - Then What? by Dr Peter Harvey as it highlights the post treatment milestones.

Always around to chat l.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hi, , what a good name! That will stand you in good stead for unwinding! Please take the time to read the paper highlighted by the Highlander it is very good. Take care