too much saliva

• 3 replies
  • 29 subscribers

For 1 year past April my mouth has filled up with saliva and it has nowhere to go.  I was slowly and messily learning how to eat and drink again..Then this started 5 months after my op.  I have just over a quarter of my tongue left and the rest is a flap.  my saliva pools under the tongue.  I can drink by gulping it back but have to clean my mouth before and after.  dayly I have tissue hanging from my  mouth to soak up the pooling saliva I can gulp liquid down but most of it has to be cleaned out.  I cant eat anything because the salive sticks to it and glues it to the front of my mouth.  has anyone any ideas how to cope with that?

• Hi  and I see it’s your first post so welcome to the Community.

I have no first hand experience to bring to the table but let’s see if any members do.

To widen your search could I suggest you join our Head and neck cancer group then introduce yourself by putting up a ‘new post’ by clicking in the box near the top right with + New or + (Depending on the device you are using) and you are ready to go.

You could copy and paste the text from this post into your new post and as always you can reply to existing ‘Discussions’ by click [reply].

You may also want to put your question to our Cancer Nurse Team in our Ask an Expert section but do allow a few working days for a reply.

I do hope you find others who have experience to help you out.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Thanks Highlander but although I have joined this group I can't see any way forward

• Let’s see if anyone in the Head and Neck group picks up on your post who have the same experience.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge