Work life after treatment

• 9 replies
  • 31 subscribers

Hi there everyone 

I’ve just joined the group, was wondering if anyone else is having difficulty returning to work after cancer. I’m a teacher. Had a year off for breast cancer treatment, a year shielding & teaching from home, gone back part time, changed role to out of classroom and no longer a dept leader, and still can’t cope mainly with responsibility etc. Anxiety, fatigue etc. Considering applying for ill health retirement. Any advice out there? 

• Hi and I see it's your first post on the site so welcome to the Community.

First do also consider connecting in with our very active Breast cancer group as many members do tend to stick around post treatment and support each other.

I can understand the challenges you are facing. I was a Lecturer in a Further Education College for over 20 years. I was diagnosed with my rare, incurable but treatable Non Hodgkins Lymphoma back in 1999 so was teaching for 12 years all the way through my many treatments....... but once I reached my 55th birthday I decided that enough was enough and took early retirement.

I did try to get retirement on ill health grounds...... but 'I did not fit the criteria' Frowning2........ "your condition is not debilitating enough and you are still fit for work so you cant get ill health retirement" I was told.......

So I just lifted my pension and left - yes I lost out financially slightly but it was the best move I ever made....... although 2 years into my retirement (2013) my condition kicked off big style and was a deaths door....... but I am now 6 years out from my last treatment and remission achieved in Sep 2016 (I only ever had 6-9 months remission before more treatments were required during the first 17 years) and doing great.

I have talked with many teachers in this community and on other support platforms who are dealing with the same challenges with many moving away from teaching. 

I think it's all about following your heat and looking to do what is best for you and your wellbeing.

Always around to chat ((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Mike 

thanks for your reply. All really helpful and I’m glad to know you are doing so well. I’ve decided to try applying- then if I get declined I’ll have a plan B. Just don’t have the concentration, memory, stamina etc to stay in teaching now. 
    Really appreciate you answering me, thanks!

• Looking for you to get a good result in this Thumbsup

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge

• I didn’t manage to return to work after I was diagnosed with womb cancer at 57. I was just so fatigued and couldn’t concentrate. I did go back on reduced hours for about 6 weeks but none of my colleagues understood what it was like. My managers were going to move me onto a different job so I bit the bullet and took early retirement. I don’t regret it for one moment. If anything this has taught me that my health and well being is paramount. If you possibly can take the early retirement and look after yourself x

• Thank you so much for your advice 

• Thank you for sharing  I have joined the community so that I can reply to your post. It reads very similar to how I feel. I am 41 now, I was diagnosed with breast cancer in Jan 2019. I was successfully treated with chemotherapy, adjuvant therapy (which continued into 2020), and radiotherapy.

Since returning to work I just cannot concentrate. I always feel so tired and lethargic. Tamoxifen has activated early menopause and when I exercise to try to loose the weight I’ve gained, I’m exhausted for the rest of the week. My memory is terrible, I forget so much and I just feel so lonely with these symptoms. I’m expected to be back to ‘normal’, but quite honestly, I couldn’t feel much further from the person I was. I feel so guilty for feeling this way because I have been so lucky with everything about my cancer, other than actually having cancer, obviously. I can’t afford not to work. I just don’t know what to do or where to turn.

• Hi  abd and it’s your first post welcome.

You may or may not have seen this great paper After Treatment Finishes - Then What? by Dr Peter Harvey interesting nd as it highlights the post treatment milestones.

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge

• Please don’t feel guilty. What you are feeling is perfectly normal. The after effects of the whole experience of having cancer and the treatment take a terrible toll that no one really warns you about and that no one can prepare you for. I’m not the person I was before. It’s all about adjusting to a new normal. Can you talk to your HR department or Union? The MacMillan helpline will also be able to help. Take care x

• Hi Breadcrumb. Thanks for replying to my post. Yes you sound in a very similar position to me. Timeline the same and everything. Have you heard of Liz O’Riordan? She’s a breast cancer surgeon who had it herself. She did a really interesting video on Instagram this morning about cancer & work, worth a look. Also about reasonable adjustments etc…. Things I didn’t know - might help … 

it’s really hard not to feel guilty. I do too as I don’t have cancer now but know several who do - I just expected to go back to normal but I haven’t. Hope you are ok.