After treatment/ feeling like it never happened

• 8 replies
  • 32 subscribers

Hi 

Is there any advice out there for after treatment and how you feel. 

In 2019 I was diagnosed with cervical cancer at stage 1A very very early. No signs or symptoms and it came up on my first ever smear test I was 28 years old. At the time I just dealt with it and didn't speak much about it because I didn't want people feeling sorry for me and I had to be strong for my children they are young and I didnt want to worrie them because all kids nowadays know what the C word is. Anyway I went for post op check up on Monday their was fine about it alittle nervous but I felt like my world crashed down and all the emotions I have kepted in have come flooding out they put me in the chair with the stirrups. This made everything come back. I have felt fine after treatment and after the hysterectomy. But this made every thing really raw. I feel silly being so upset because I know there are much worse people of then myself and that's what I told myself when going through everything. I dont k ow where to turn right now im quite upset sore head, called in my work the past to days because of my head and all of this but I don't know if they would even understand if I told them. Any advice would be most welcome. 

Thankyou for taking the time to read this post x

• Hi  and welcome to our little corner of the community. I am sure that some of the others will be along with their thoughts. My journey is obviously very different being male but at the same time cancer is cancer.

I have a rare incurable type of blood cancer (Non Hodgkin’s Lymphoma) diagnosed way back pain in 1999 so I have had time to develop the ability, mindset that allowed me to live with my cancer and not be defined by it. Hit my community name  to see my story as you can do with other group members.

The post treatment journey can be hard and from talking with lots of others many find it harder then their diagnosis and treatments.

A helpful first step would be to make a cuppa and have a look at this great paper After Treatment Finishes - Then What? by Dr Peter Harvey as it highlights the post treatment milestones.

Once you have looked at the paper do come back with your thoughts both positive and negative about the subjects covered in the paper.

((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Mike (The Highlander)

Thank you so much for mentioning the paper by Dr Peter Harvey - it has been a great help reading it and raises some of the struggles I am having.

There are parts of his paper that I have copied out to directly send to people around me as a lot of it resonates with me.

I feel grateful that the diagnosis of womb cancer and surgery in July captured the Cancer, resulting in me not needing follow up treatment, however it has lead to family and people telling me to now forget about it, move on, and treat it as if nothing has ever happened. They have no idea of me trying to assess what has happened to me in a very short time (tests/diagnosis/surgery all happened within 3 months), and the worry I have moving forward especially as I am due my first 3 month check up.

I wish I was as strong as everyone believes I am - i'm not, but just reading Misslou, yours and others input and feedback gives me the assurance that I dont need to feel isolated on my thoughts or actions as I travel along my path post cancer.

Wishing you the continued strength to live with your diagnosis, and thank you for your regular input to other forums I follow.

D x

• It’s a good paper,I found it helpful.Everything happened quickly for me too,diagnosed July 2019 and major surgery in September that year.There was no time to process what had happened until I was recovering alone during the pandemic.I did get quite depressed then but got through it.Best wishes going forward.Love Jane x

• Thanks for the response Jane.

Similar to your situation during lockdown, I am on my own, (but been lucky enough to use my small pot of savings to get a carer to help me out as it was necessary). I too have suffered bouts of depression, and mentally trying to assimilate whats happened, but thanks to Macmillans and these forums I feel I can get through this.

It is reassuring to hear of your journey :)

Love D x

• You are doing great and sending sections of the paper to family and friends is actually a very good move.

I do know folks give the complete paper to their employers as it’s an education to their employers to see through the eyes of the person they are trying to communicate with.

When I worked in education I did some training on listening.

Most people really don't listen. People are just either not that interested in what you're saying, or they are too focused on their own agenda.

It's ridiculous to see two people acting like they can’t really hear each other.

It's critical to seek first to understand, then to be understood.

Seeking real understanding affirms the other person and what they have to say. That's what they want. That's what we all want — to be understood, valued and affirmed.

What if you seek to be understood but others don't?

Two things come to mind. One person truly listening is generally better than none.

More important, one person listening generally leads to two people listening.

Let’s be honest, if I honor you with my ears, you’ll be more likely to reciprocate and others learn the habit through our example.

This is what is happening in these discussions Heart eyes ((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Thanks Mike - wise words of wisdom and so true :)

D x

• Hi, , how are you feeling now? I hope the paper helped, I like it. We all have very down times, and I hope you are feeling a little better. Big (((hugs)))

• Thankyou yes feeling alittle better, I found the paper excellent very informative and good use explanation,  thibk at the time everyone whats to support and everything is in place to help someone when going through the treatment but in remission it's feels faint not there as much and even family and friends they see you as you again, but that dark cloud is still there even if its all gone and its just check ups. Its a long road for anyone and I'm a very private person and bottle stuff up which in turn I don't believe helped at all thankyou for the kind words Blush x