Upset/ surveillance

• 3 replies
  • 35 subscribers

Hi 

I have recently had surgery for testicular cancer. The surgery went well and all I need is surveillance going forward. I was told this yesterday and ever since then all I have done is cry and feel so upset but I am mad with myself for feeling this way I should be over the moon like all my family are. Has anyone else felt like this and does anyone have any advice I could really use it right now thank you.

• Hi , welcome to this corner of the community and its great to hear that your surgery went well and you are now on surveillance, I like to call this Active Monitoring.

Advice?....... like most people on the community you have been through far more than you would ever want to go through, in some respects your life and body has changed and it’s no fault of yours.

It takes some time to ‘get’ that you may well be over the treatment part but you are now in the recovery part, this for some can be just as hard as the diagnostic and treatment parts of the journey.

I am now 5 1/2 years out from my last treatments (hit my name for my story) and it took until Sep 2016 to be told I was in remission for the first time in over 17 years, which I think is amazing as back in 1999 I was told “Mike your type of blood cancer is incurable but treatable although you will never be in remission”..... so I am living the dream.

Your task now is to navigate the milestones of recovery. A good starting pint is to make a cuppa and have a look at this great paper After Treatment Finishes - Then What? by Dr Peter Harvey as it highlights the post treatment milestones.

Do come back with your thoughts.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Thank you so much for this reply I can take alot of positive steps and tips from this Thank you again.

• Hi Jim83,I’ve certainly felt like this since my surgery.I think it’s just a combination of emotions that you feel having got through the operation and the whole experience of having cancer.It’s ok to cry if you feel tearful it’s better to express yourself than bottle it all up.Best wishes Jane