Secondary cancer worries

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 4 replies
  • 29 subscribers

I finished active treatment Jan 2020 after stage 3 A breast cancer but I often worry that I have cancer still somewhere in my body, I often feel ill as have samters triad aswell so nasal polyps blocking my nose and chest problems, I had a ct scan at diagnosis and a liver mri which showed cysts but never had a bone scan, how do I get past the constant worry, I did have a ct on my spine area a few months ago which showed bulging discs but how will I know if I get secondaries 

• It’s me again  (interesting name ;)

I am over 5 1/2 years out from my last treatment and can understand your fears. But as time goes on you start to trust your body. 

You may find it helpful to make a cuppa and have a look at this great paper After Treatment Finishes - Then What? by Dr Peter Harvey as it highlights the post treatment milestones. Come back with your thoughts on the paper.

As I said on one of the other posts I have an incurable condition and also other health issues (see my profile) but I refuse to let the ‘what if’s’ dictate how I live..... I worked dammed hard to get though my years of treatment...... our family mantra is ‘what now - not what if’

((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hello crazyfairy,

I can endorse the paper Thehighlander recommends.  I took his recommendation when I first joined the forum and it helped a lot (thanks Mike).

I am just coming up on three years since my last treatment and my chemo was stopped due to a really bad toxic reaction to the drug I was on for bowel cancer.  So there are odd times when I feel a pain or a twinge and think 'Is it coming back?'  I think that it is part of the process.  Time helps, even if it doesn't quite heal.  The more days that go past, the more monitoring sessions you pass with good numbers/scans the more you can begin to see beyond the car smash of diagnosis and treatment.  Saying 'don't worry' is pointless.  You do worry sometimes but it doesn't have to be all the time.

I echo what Thehighlander says.  You can't live the rest of your life with cancer in control.  You have things you want to do, things you want to be and everyone, cancer survivor or not, has to work that stuff out.  And you are a survivor.  My dietician startled me a few months after my surgery when she said that I should remember that I was now a survivor.  Remember how strong you are.  You took this on and you are still standing. 

So 'If not now, when?' is a great mantra.  If you can do this, you can do anything.  Go for it.  Take care 

Lyn

Oops, I nearly forgot.  You might find it helpful to talk to one of the Macmillan counselling team.  I thought I wasn't the sort who did counselling but I went along after my treatment was over and it helped.  They have seen it all before and it is such a relief to talk in a safe space about all that we have been through and they have strategies that are a real help.  They are still doing phone and online sessions in my area and I can't recommend it enough.   Give it a try and good luck

LB
  • Hi Lyn  good to hear from you ((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Nice to hear you are doing well, Mike, and thanks for the hug.  The same to you and everyone on the thread.  Hope you are all well and staying safe indoors and out. 

Have a good Bank Holiday weekend wherever you are

Lyn

LB