Getting back into work

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 3 replies
  • 28 subscribers

I finished active treatment Jan 2020 and recently been thinking of getting back into work, I went to university to do photography before my diagnosis for 3 years and worked as a casual Healthcare assistant at the hospital, in the past I've done mostly care work and a few voluntary jobs but I have anxiety and emotional problems from the past and feel like my confidence has dropped, I don't know what other jobs I can do as no experience in most things and I'm not sure if I should be open about my cancer to employers, I have the chance of a teaching assistant course starting soon where I can get a placement which may help me move towards a different career path and I love art. I keep looking at jobs and bieng scared to apply incase I can't do it 

• Me again , I was lazy at school, often skipping school and as a result could not spell to save my life but did get the chance to serve my apprenticeship as a joiner but at 35 with two young girls a mortgage felt I could do more so went and studied to get into teaching.

I then went on to teach in a Further Education College for 20 years and loved it..... and learned to spell as well Wink

We must follow our dreams, I never though that I would have been able to do what I did and never regretted working hard to get into education.

I was actually diagnosed in 1999 with my type of rare blood cancer halfway through my teaching career..... my employers were great, supporting me all the way. But my condition became aggressive so had to give up teaching but again following a number of years treatment I am living a great life.

In 1999 I was told “Mike, I am sorry to tell you that this type of Lymphoma is incurable, yes treatable but you will never be in remission”...... but after years of various treatments in September 2016 I was told I was in remission for the first time in 17 years - and I am living the dream..... you can live your dreams but it does take you to make steps in the right direction.

Cancer is not and should not ever be seen as a barrier. 

Happy to talk more ((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Thehighlander

Hi Mike, your story is so inspiring. Thank You!

Hugs

• ..... I think ever cancer story will be inspiring in so many levels, we all do what we need to do to keep this ‘living’ thing going ((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge