Sense of doom / dread

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 4 replies
  • 28 subscribers

Hello,

I was diagnosed with testicular cancer on 24th Dec 20, I have had my operation on the 6th Jan & 1 shot of Carboplatin (which I opted for over active surveillance).

I was a smoker when diagnosed and have now quit, 21 days ago.

Since my chemotherapy treatment I have had this feeling of impending doom that something bad is going to happen?

I do suffer with anxiety and always used the cigarettes as my anxiety release / go to, now that isn't an option.

I have also been seeing a counsellor which is helping.

Are these feeling of dread normal? I think quitting smoking as well as trying to process the cancer combined are hard to deal with.

The diagnosis was out of the blue also and I found the tumour by accident, so the surprise of it all I think plays into my thoughts.

• Hi  and welcome to this little corner of the Community.

First a few congratulations, for getting through your treatment and stopping smoking. Having never been a smoker I will not have an appreciation as to how hard this can be and indeed the ‘left over’ challenges after making this decision.

When it comes to cancer I think ai have become an expert as I have been on my cancer journey for over 21 years now (hit my name to see my story)

I will never see a cure, but what I was told back in 1999 was I would also never be in remission. This was proved wrong in Sep 2016....... so for me, I am living the dream.

I will highlight that my cancer is asleep and due to the years of skin treatments I am most likely going to develop skin cancer at some point in time.

I can understand your “sense of doom/dread” as cancer is all encompassing. With my many years experience walking this road I have developed the ability to pigeon hole the “what if’s” and put all my concentration into the “what now’s?”...... I am always looking for opportunities to ‘live’ the life I have been gifted because of the treatments ai tecived,

When you arrive on the cancer path we see two signs placed the length of the path.

One sign points to Pessimism, a mindset that always sees the worst will happen, not appreciating that cancer can be treated and for some cured, where stress and worry controls every aspect of your life and as a result the journey is made extremely hard and draining.

The other sign points to Optimism,  a mindset that is full of hopefulness, determination, confidence about the future and appreciates that most cancers are now very treatable. It’s important to continually seek to choose the optimistic direction as this simple thing can define how you walk the cancer journey.

You may find it helpful to make a cuppa and have a look at this great paper After Treatment Finishes - Then What? by Dr Peter Harvey as it highlights the post treatment milestones we all have to navigate.

Happy to talk more

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Thehighlander

Mike,

Many thanks for the response & I really appreciate it.

Glad to hear that you are in remission sounds like you have had a long journey to this point.

The smoking was something I have wanted to stop for a long time, but it was always going to happen 'tomorrow', this latest event just brought it into the spotlight.

I have read the article on the link above after reading one of your other posts on the community chat and found it really helpful.

I completely agree its the choice of sign that will define how hard the journey of post treatment will be.

I am back running and seeing my counsellor on a weekly basis to process my journey so far and other things that have happened over the last few years. It definitely a rollercoaster with good & bad days at the moment but I have tried to implement positive routines to make the journey easier.

Thanks,

Rob

• I only hear positives in your reply Rob.

For many people, the post treatment part can be very challenging as you have to navigate an unknown path.

I don’t like the term ‘finding my new normal’ that is used a lot...... l prefer to think it as being presented with ‘new opportunities’........ keep pushing the forward doors not the exits.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Thehighlander

I am trying to focus on the positives, that said the feeling of doom is still lingering around, but I hope this will pass / become less frequent as time moves forward.

The diagnosis has pushed me to make changes like becoming a non-smoker and also seeing a counsellor to deal with other issues on top of the cancer (like divorce and few other life changes over the last couple of years). I want to look back and see the good changes in my life as a result of the cancer rather than go on a spiral downwards.

Anyway I am still at the start of the journey and I underestimated the mental side to cancer post op / treatment.

Rob