Anxiety after cancer treatment

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 7 replies
  • 29 subscribers

Hi, I was diagnosed with breast cancer back in 2012, finished my treatment which is such a relief, but its the anxiety and panic attacks I now suffer from that I would like some advice with, it has got easier over the years but every so often it will appear, I read something in a magazine about people who've had cancer and 10 years (I don't want to go to much into it) and of course it's coming close to those 10 years, is there anyone who can relate to my story, I know how lucky I am, but the mental scares it's left me with are just so hard to deal with sometimes. I have a very supportive family, and they've seen me go through my treatment, and been there every step of the way, but sometimes it's better to speak to someone's whose gone through the same as me, any suggestions would be really helpful 

• Hi  and welcome across to our little corner.

Post treatment anxiety and panic attacks are some of the treatment ‘left overs’ that we don’t get real help dealing with.

I was diagnosed back in 1999 with a rather rare and difficult to treat Cutaneous T-Cell (skin) Non Hodgkin’s Lymphoma. I was told “Mike, I am sorry to tell you that this type of NHL is incurable, yes treatable but you will never be in remission”. After years of various treatments in September 2016 I was told I was in remission for the first time in 17 years - so for me I am living the dream.

I think we are given an invisible rucksack when we are diagnosed and for years we put ‘stuff’ in it, all the stuff we go through and experience then try to live the post treatment life carrying this heavy rucksack. 

Have you ever had any one on one support or been to a support group?...... for some this helps a lot as you get to understand your not on your own and it helps to empty the rucksack and bin some of the ‘stuff’ you are carrying around with you.

During these COVID times it’s not that available but do check to see if you have any Local Macmillan Support in your area or a Maggie’s Centre as these folks are amazing and a lot of these services have moved onto online video support groups and have opens up for in person one on one. Also check this link to the Macmillan Buddies Telephone Service

You may find it helpful to make a cuppa and have a look at this great paper After Treatment Finishes - Then What? by Dr Peter Harvey as it highlights the post treatment milestones.

Do come back with your thoughts after looking at the paper.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Thehighlander
    paper

Hi

I've just joined this online community as I've recently come to learn about anxiety and have referred for steps to wellbeing. It's nice to hear that I'm not alone and would love to connect to people with lived experience as I explore ways to manage my anxiety. I've taken the time to read the pdf Mike shared which was very helpful. 

• Hi  and welcome to this corner of the Community and good you found the paper helpful.

I had a look at your profile and I see you were treated for HL and also have had an Auto Stem Cell Transplant.

I was diagnosed in 1999 with a rather rare and difficult to treat Stage 4a Cutaneous T-Cell (skin) Non Hodgkin’s Lymphoma. I was told “Mike, I am sorry to tell you that this type of NHL is incurable, yes treatable but you will never be in remission”...... but after 14 years, 900+ Dermatology treatments/clinics my condition became very aggressive so between Sep 2013 and Oct 2015 I had 6 cycles of R-EPOCH (750hrs), 45 radiotherapy zaps and two Allo (donor) Stem Cell Transplants (June 2014 and October 2015) and was eventually told I was in remission in September 2016 for the first time in 17 years...... and living the dream.

You may also find our Hodgkin lymphoma and Stem cell transplant groups a good place to connect with others.

Always around to talk.

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge

• FormerMember

That paper is really good, thank you. And the quote from Madiba even more so.

• Hi , good you found the paper helpful..... what part of the paper did you find most helpful?

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge

• FormerMember

Thanks. I think the acknowledgement that the end of formal treatment is an anxious time for us. So many (well-meaning) people say things like "You can put it all behind you now", and I don't think it's that simple. 

• Yes, there can be a total lack of perception by people who have not actually walked a cancer journey and this leads to mistrust and misunderstanding.

Being on this journey for so long I developed a ‘like it or leave it’. So I always tell the blunt truth, a bad day was a bad day and I would not use the “I’m fine” phrase.

My family were not a problem but some friends were not willing to be educated...... “time to get over it”........ my reply often starts “ ok..... so can actually tell you what I have been through and the person you see standing in front of your May look the same but inside has changed dramatically”

Some were willing to listen and learn but some melted into the background Smirk

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge