Feeling Lost

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 3 replies
  • 29 subscribers

Hi All,

Not sure if this is the right waty to do this but looking for help wherever I can find it.

I have not had cancer myself but a very good friend recently had prostate cancer, he had his operation and treatment and so far everything physically is looking positive. Unfortunatly his mental health is really struggling. 

He feels low and has feelings like he should not of survived the cancer. He has received some help from GPs and counselling but it seems really hard to get anymroe help, everyone is concerned with the physical and not the mental side of his illness.

I am concerned for him as his lows seem to be getting worse, he is quite comfortable to talk about his issues but they need directing to someone who can really help, maybe people on this forum who have been through similar.

I would like to show this to him and hopefully convince him it can help.

Please respond with your advice.

Thanks for reading.

• Hi  and welcome to this little corner of the community. It’s great that you are looking out for your friend. The post treatment recovery can be just as hard as the treatment itself.

First you may want to have a look at this great paper as it highlights the milestones of the post treatment recovery that your friend is dealing with.

Talking to people face to face who understand cancer can indeed help a lot but during these COVID times it’s not that available but do check to see if you have any Local Macmillan Support in your area or a Maggie’s Centre as these folks are amazing and a lot of these services have moved onto online video support groups as well as one on one support.

Also check this link to the Macmillan Buddies Telephone Service

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• I have completed surgery, and chemo for prostrate cancer, unfortunately mine is not cured.  I understand his feelings, ther are a number of aspects

1. during treatment it’s like a run away train, moving from appointment to appointment. Blood test after blood test, when that stops it’s quite unsettling, during is surreal everything is happening too quick to process.  There is a lot to process after, there’s the legacy of treatment, for me it was the realisation I wasn’t invisible 
    2. Is he on hormone therapy? Depression is a side effect, I’ve been placed on anti depressants since going on hormone therapy, this also saps energy, real fatigue 

I reached out to my GP and also my consultant, they have been fantastic, I’ve received counselling, attended various groups at the hospital, all of which have helped. I am also on a list for a local charity which also helps. For me it’s a mixture of meds and talking.

good luck to your friend, suggest he joins this site and the prostrate group. He can express his feelings with other men who have and are going through similar 

• Our Prostate cancer group has been mentioned  and it may well be a good place for your friend to connect with others walking the treatment journey both as a patient or family.

He can follow the above link then choose ‘click to join' or ‘join’ when the page opens.

He can then introduce himself to the group, post questions or just  join in with existing discussions by clicking on 'reply'. 

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge