7 months on

• 3 replies
  • 32 subscribers

Hello to all,

it has been a while since I posted here but do read your posts.

I got back to work 8 weeks post surgery and at present don’t need any other treatment. I was very fatigued but this has slowly improved and other than the odd nanny afternoon nap am doing fine. A few weeks ago I suddenly started finding that I wanted to talk about my experiences and life changes. Wonderful friends aren’t interested, everyone has there own life challenges and I am rather yesterdays news. I contacted a counselling service that my employer provides and was offered 6 one to one sessions. 

I had my first session last week with the next tomorrow. I have always been a very organised person, lots of plans ahead. The last 3 years I looked after and supported my sister through her own cancer journey, did the same for my Mother who died of cancer 2 years ago, My relationship with my boyfriend broke down and broke up then in March I was diagnosed with cancer which I hadn’t expected. Following all of this I decided to retire in March but with COVID I will delay this to June. I’ll be 65 by then.

I have had a few ‘down’ days and work is very busy. I feel a bit all at sea and all over the place. I am unsure what a few sessions of counselling will do, guess I am hoping that I will find that I am okay with not having a plan or a vision for the future. I find that I am living in the day.

i would appreciate it if any of you can share your experience.

Thanks as always for being here and reading this.

Honey Two hearts

• Hi Covehoney welcome to the forum. i wonder if you are experiencing the time after treatment when all is quiet no Doctors, no treatments and you think what now?  I cant find my link to the article but if you can look up Dr Peter Harvey and read the article entitled "After the treatment finishes what next" I think some if not all of it may make sense of  what is happening for you now.

Its ok  not to be ok and its ok not to have a plan so cut yourself some slack and see where the new journey takes you.

Sending very best wishes your way for now.xxx

gail

Community Champion Badge

• Hello Honey

Thank you for sharing your experience.  Firstly you have shown great awareness and courage to recognise you needed some help and seek support which can be one of the hardest things to do, but you have taken that first step.

Eight months ago I hit gravity post treatment, but what I didn't realise was that for several months after I was bobbing along the bottom without having truly bottomed out, until recently.  I too had to do what you have just done and I have being having some tailored support through Macmillan for a few weeks and I am also just about to embark on directional counselling as a result of the help I have received from Macmillan.  What I have learnt is how powerful talking is, the clarity and perspective I have gained so far in understanding what I have experienced from diagnosis and through to today in post treatment which, to be honest I have found  to be hardest part, has been immensly constructive.  This has helped me to realise that I am now ready through willingness and honesty to help myself by asking for and seeking help - I am very glad I did, as I don't want to carry on feeling as I have been where the fears and anxieties have been in control and cancer has been too dominant a  part of my life.  For me, it is now time to shift that balance and find a way to live my life with quality and in a meaningful way where cancer is a part of it and not the cental part.

I at last feel I am making some progress, with help, taking baby steps, I am not sure where they are going but they are going somewhere and I am endeavouring to find out.  Keep taking those steps Honey,  Keep going and above all Keep on talking - it truly is more powerful than you think.

Take care and sending you a very supportive ((Hug))

xxx

Ourgirlinthenorth 

• "After the treatment finishes what next"

This is a very good article and highlights a what a lot of us survivors feel

After The Treatment Finishes

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge