My scan is due either in June or July??

• 3 replies
  • 28 subscribers

morning my lovelies hope everyone is doing good and keeping safe I’ve never been on here for a while but my scan is due as I go for yearly check ups and scan now. I keep thinking is it back but I feel myself I can’t understand thinking about it I don’t think I’m worried about it I don’t know I think it seems strange to me love n big hugs to everyone always love Yvonne xxxxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi   Dove  Will a dove do ?  Couldn't find a pigeon Hugging

Long time no see, that is I think you are the Yvonne from way back in the breast group ?

No matter how far back it was everyone gets the Heebie Jeebies when annual scan time comes around. It always takes you right back to being diagnosed; not something you want to be reminded about.  Know you had a few scares and worries along the way as well  :-/

Hope you are both doing great - What else can I tell you..... I know it's J's favourite saying....

"Don't Miss Today's Sunshine Worrying About Tomorrow's Rain"

Speaking of which, hope you get to enjoy what is left of this lovely sunny weekend Yvonne Tropical drink Beer Icecream

Hugs, G n' J

• hi yes it’s me I was in the breast cancer group and last year I had found out I had a growth on my left lung or left nodules around my left lung but after all the scans they said it’s not cancer yippee so now I go once a year to check it hasn’t changed. Thank you so much for your reply and thank you so very much for remembering me I didn’t think anyone would remember me thank you my lovely enjoy your day love Yvonne xx

• Hi 

I think most folks post treatment will be sitting nodding their heads in agreement. Does it improve?........ I think we all adapt in our own ways to living with the challenges.

I have been on my cancer journey for 21 years now and Scanxiety became an integral part of living the cancer lifestyle. I am amazingly now discharged, so no checkups for the last few years so no clinics (stress) letters.

I came across this little article and you may find it helpful to look at along with this great paper (sorry if you have seen it before) 

((Hugs))

What Is Scanxiety and How Can You Manage It? February 26, 2018 - Choose Hope

The first time you read or hear it, “scanxiety” may look and sound like a funny word. However, when you are going through it, there is nothing funny about this very real condition. From the first MRI following a doctor’s suspicious discovery during a routine exam to the annual PET scan years after an initial diagnosis, the fear and worry that accompanies imaging appointments can take a significant toll on your emotional and mental wellbeing.

Fortunately, you can take steps to minimise and cope with the sometimes-overwhelming emotions you feel.

Acknowledge your Feelings

Don’t try to ignore the way you feel, as this can actually increase your anxiety. Instead, recognise and even embrace your scanxiety. This first step empowers you to take action, move forward and manage your emotions, helping you find peace and feel more in control of your own life.

Talk about It to the Right People

Venting your fears and frustrations to people close to you can be a wonderful way to release stress and gain vital support. However, if you have folks in your life who tend to exacerbate your worries or load you up with even more concerns (and really, who doesn’t have that one friend or family member?), avoid sharing too much with them.

Practice Mindful Living

Ancient Chinese philosopher Lao Tzu said, “If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.” Look for ways to live in the moment. Hug your little boy and inhale deeply, noting the mingled fragrance of fresh earth and shampoo. Stroke your husband’s face and think about the way his soft stubble brushes your hand. Savour a particularly flavourful meal. Relish in the here and now.

Distract Yourself

Find ways to take your mind off the upcoming scan, at least for a while. Dig into a novel or binge watch a series that completely engrosses you. Turn up your favourite music and tackle a chore you’ve been putting off for too long. Hang out with that one friend who has a gift for making you guffaw. Schedule some time to enjoy your favourite hobby without interruption. If you have trouble letting go, imagine setting your worries in a “to do later” box and tell yourself you can pick them up when you’re done.

Ask Questions

Sometimes, the unknown is the greatest instigator of anxiety. If you are unclear about anything –from what to expect during the scan, to when and how you can expect to receive your results, to what those results might mean– don’t be afraid to ask your doctor. Having a well-defined understanding of what you will or might experience allows you to be better prepared and can even ease your mind.

Plan for the Worst Outcome…

Along with knowing what could possibly come of your scan, creating a strategy for the worst case scenario can improve your sense of control. By no means should this be perceived as giving up or being resigning yourself to bad news. Cancer can make you feel powerless, but creating a basic action plan just in case can help  you regain your power as well as your optimism.

…but Visualise the Best

Your mind is more powerful than you might realise. Visualisation and guided imagery have been shown to improve your mood, control symptoms or side effects and even boost your immune system. Imagine yourself receiving great news after your scan. Allow yourself to experience the feelings of relief, gratitude and elation. Think about these things as though you are remembering them. Seeing it in your mind’s eye can give you the encouragement you need to overcome your scanxiety.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge