Breast cancer

• 44 replies
  • 36 subscribers

Hi

I was diagnosed with breast cancer jan 2019 .I had surgery chemotherypy and radiotherypy. My treatment finished in September and am now on a 5 year hormone tablet Anastrozole . 

I thought I would ok but to tell the truth I sometimes get low and could cry I have aches and pains especially in my hands and as for going back to work I cant even think about it as get anxious. My hair is starting to grow back but I dont feel like me anymore, is this normal ? 

How long after treatment before you go back to work is it weeks months or what? 

I have been told I have got to stay in for 12 weeks due to coronavirus although my immune system is ok .

I know I am rambling on but would be good to hear from others that feel like this hope I get some replies

Take care 

Lucky 3

• Hi and welcome to this little corner of the Community.

Some of your questions are very specific so you may also want to post this in the Breast cancer group as a lot of folks stick around following treatment and support each other post treatment.

However, can I highlight this great paper as it does highlight the milestones in the post treatment journey.

The 12 week rule is indeed being suggested for a number of reasons and you can check out more information about the Covid19 recommendations by looking at the top of the site in the pink box.

I am over 4 1/2 years post treatment and I have been ‘strongly’ told to by my hospital team and my GP to keep myself safe, I do go out in the garden but that’s it - on day 45 now but doing good and keeping the greater good in all this in focus all the time.

Staying safe and not being sorry is our watchword in the house at the moment.

Always around to talk ((hugs)) from a safe distance.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Thehighlander

Thank you for replying I have posted it in the breast cancer group like you suggested .

Yes I go out in the garden aswell . I am in my 5th week and trying to keep busy with reading puzzles and jobs around the house.

You are not prepared for the after effects of cancer are you really until it really hits you.

Staying in is staying safe 

Thanks for the (hugs)

• Hi lucky3,I was diagnosed with bladder cancer last July and had my bladder removed almost 7mths ago.I still get low and anxious days.I’ve struggled with the emotional side of things at times.Take care,Love Jane

• An old BT advert used to say "It's good to talk" so remember that there is someone at the end of the phone on our Macmillan Support Line Services, you can call them free on 0808 808 00 00 for Emotional Support and Practical Information mostly open 9.00 to 5.00 but check the link but you may find the service very busy at the moment.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hi luck3

I have been reading through your posts and can really empathise with how you feel.  I too am new to the recovery path and have my ups and downs with it - all normal as I understand. You can read my profile by clicking on my name.  I find it really is a one day at a time job, sometimes even one hour or one minute at a time.  Breaking things down into manageable  pieces and working with what I can do rather than what I can't and accepting my limitations amongst this helps me.

feel free to contact me anytime you want to talk, either on or off the boards.

All the best

X  

Ourgirlinthenorth 

• Hi 

Thank you for replying it helps to know other people are going through the same symtons . 

I never thought I would feel like this  but like you say  take one day at a time x 

X

• Hi lucky3

You are more than welcome.

Have you had chance to read Dr Peter Harvey's paper which Mike - The Highlander highlighted?  I really cannot reccommend it highly enough - please take a look as it is well worth sitting down with a brew and reading it.  For me, the paper describes my situation perfectly as I can really identify with every aspect covered.  It  cut through the fears, confusion and overwhelming feelings I found myself left with after my treatment finished.  It is an excellent starting point in this recovery process and I found it helped me to make some sense of all the jumble of thoughts and feelings I was having.  It certainly provided me with a platform, where I could steady my feet a bit, and work out what all the stuff was I had been left with after the rollercoaster i had been on for almost 2 years.  Recovery does throw up challenges but through work and effort and the right guidance it is possible to overcome and adapt to this "new normal" - not only is it a work in progress but an evolving process and one which I am evolving in tandem with.  Hence, the reason why recovery cannot be rushed but taken one step at a time.

with reference to your quest about how long it takes before you can go back to work - be guided by you and your medical team.  I have asked the question as to how long recovery takes of mine, and it is a question they admit they cannot answer as it is different for different people - it can take a long time for some to deal not only with the side effects from treatment  but also the impact on our mental health and emotions, even lives,  which a cancer diagnosis and all it entails impacts upon.  

There is help and support for you, please ask any questions you may have as there is plenty of knowledge and experience within this great Community to support you on your path.  

Kindest wishes

X

Ourgirlinthenorth 

• I havent had change to read it yet but I will do 

Thank you x

• Hi 

Have you got a link for dr Peter Harvey's paper 

Thank you