Ileostomy diet

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 7 replies
  • 29 subscribers

Hi, can anyone tell me about the benefits of eating porridge oats if you have an ileostomy stoma. I've read they are good for thickening and slowing things down. I'm eating them but I see them come through my bag relatively quickly and looking much the same form as when I ate them. If they are going through so quick and looking the same, am I getting much nutritional benefit from them? 

• Hi  and welcome to this little corner of the Online Community, although I am sorry to see you finding us.

My cancer journey was rather different so I have no experience that can help but talking with people who are on the same journey can help a lot so can I highlight our very supportive Ileostomy, colostomy and stoma support Group.

Posting in this group will open up your concerns to a wider group of people who know exactly what………. you are going through at the moment. 

Follow the link I've created, join the group then introduce yourself to the group and post questions after selecting 'start a discussion' and you can also join in with existing conversations by clicking on 'reply'.

All the best.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi 

Warm welcome to the Mac Community and the Life After Cancer Group.

There are quite a few messages mentioning porridge with a stoma in the Ileostomy, Colonoscopy and Stoma Support Group.

If you click/tap this link it will take you the Porridge search page results and you could join the Stoma Group then ask about this in a new discussion Thumbsup tone1

Thanks Mike  / 

Hope this is of some help for now, G n' J

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Themes for the help. Thumbsup

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi 

I've just popped into this conversation from the stoma support groups to offer you my welcome to the online community and I would like to invite you to join us over in the Ileostomy, colostomy and stoma support

I would like to have had the opportunity to answer your question over there.

As you no doubt have had explained your ileostomy has been formed by cutting away part of your small intestine, the amount removed depends on how much damage was caused. The longer the length removed is less left for the food to pass through from mouth to bag.

We normally suggest porridge oats as a means to thicken up and slow down output.

I am assuming that you are enjoying all the foods that you previously enjoyed and wonder if it's only porridge oats that are running straight through or is it all foods.

The longer the time that food takes to pass through the better and it could be that other foods could be causing your porridge looking output and we need to look at the everything else you eat and drink by recording everything you consume and note your output consistency (and any other experiences) in a food diary allowing you adjust the types of fibre you consume. The longer the time that food takes to pass through the better chance of nutrients and vitamins being absorbed into your system.

As an ileostomate I would be happy with porridge in my bag.

As far as porridge goes it depends on the type you eat, instant oats versus cooked oats you will still receive some nutritional benefits from either although I do have to say I'm a traditional porridge eater cooked until you can stand the spoon in it, not really into the instant thin types.

Does your output cause you any other problems, please do make the short journey from here to stoma support and let the group offer you many more suggestions all our remedies come from the tried and tested method of trial and error.

No need to change your porridge eating habits especially if it comes out of box with a man tossing a caber on the front!

I hope you can make the short journey to visit us soon.

Ian

CC

• Hello Stan,

I am new to the forum too but I saw your post.  I am also an ileostomist and have had some interesting times with diet since my surgery in July 2018.  But I love porridge and my stoma nurse advised me to try it as it was so good nutritionally.  I did and I haven't looked back.  Transit does seem to be quick, about 6-8 hours in my case and output does have that 'porridgy' consistency my team get excited over - they have some curious pleasures.  I can't talk about its value for thickening output as I have not tended to have liquid output anyway.  It doesn't seem to make anything thicker for me.

What I have learnt is that every stoma is an individual?  My first chemo visit involved a chat with the nurse who also had a stoma but she could eat onions happily (I can't touch them - try the spice asafoetida instead, works a treat and tastes just right) whereas I can eat raw apple with no problems (peeled of course) and she daren't go near them.  It taught me very early on that everything is right if it works for you. So, if you enjoy porridge, stick with it.  Good luck  from me and Charlie

LB
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to LB61

Hi, thanks for the info. After speaking to my stoma nurse she advised me that  if I seem to be gaining weight and not losing it then I must be getting the nutrients from my food. My output is very fast - 2 to 3 hrs, and I can see the actual porridge flakes. Apparently some foods will come through looking unchanged whatever . All my foods seems to travel this quickly, it will be interesting when I speak to a dietician (my stoma nurse put me in contact ) to ask how you can absorb nutrients when did is passed through that quick. I'm a bit nervous of reintroducing new more risky foods at this current time as I don't want to cause a blockage. Hospital is the last place I want to be right now with the Corona crisis

Stay safe and keep healthy - Stan. 

• I think that is very sensible.  I have been very cautious about adding new foods over the past eighteen months but taking things steadily has been the best approach.  I haven't had any blockages and only a couple of really strong reactions.  The key for me has been to go with my  instincts, try something when I feel ready and then in tiny amounts, gradually building up with time in between.  Plenty of fluid is useful for me but I as I said I tend toward the stodgy rather than the liquid.  But things have taken time to settle down so I go slowly.

Glad to be able to pass on some info and to be able to say it does work out.

Stay safe and well

LB