Dont feel i am back to me

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 2 replies
  • 29 subscribers

I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2017 had breast and some nodes removed, had chemo and radiotherapy which finished April 2018. In my head I thought I would have this treatment and I would return to me, but I am not.... I have other illnesses as result of the treatment, and i am in pain, but the longer it is going on the more depressed I feel. I am generally a positive person, and was until the last 6 month where I have felt so alone and depressed. It is affecting my work, my relationship and me. Has anyone else experienced the same?

• Hi  and welcome to this corner of the Community. I did see your post last night but was rather tired but better late than never.

What you are feeling is unfortunately rather normal for lots of folks. You can have a look through the various discussions in this group by hitting the 'Discussions" tab near the group heading and join in with some of them.

You will see a thread that connects us all together in that 'How can you move on' 'Can I get my old life back?' 'I can't make any progress even although I al all clear'......; but you also see what folks are doing to move life on in a positive way.

Talking can help a lot. The Community is one way but from my experience talking with others who have been on the road helps a lot so check o see if you have any Local Macmillan Support in your area or a Maggie’s Centre as these folks are amazing.

We also have a very supportive Breast cancer group were folks have stayed following their treatment and walk the post journey together - do check it out.

You may find having a look through this great paper helpfulfolks will actually come back to me and say that they think that the paper had been written just about them. But I would always challenge folks to become proactive after reading through it and using it as a vehicle for change and life improvement.

When you feel up to it try putting some information in your profile. This really helps others when answering. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. Just click on YOUR username, select 'Edit Profile'. Put as much or as little in your profile and you can amend it at any time - you can see members profiles by hitting our forum names.

((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Yes I feel the same. After surgery and radiotherapy I thought I would be recovered and back to normal. I’m not. After a year I’m still having pain and other issues. Haven’t been able to return to work but I’m almost 59 so am now looking to a different phase in my life. It’s made me review a lot of things and I have let go of things that I now see as unimportant and want to focus on the things that make me happy.

Talking to others at sessions at Maggie’s really helped because they understood 

Try and find an outlet and explore your feelings

x