Benefits

• 1 reply
  • 28 subscribers

Hi,

This is a copy of a post I did on the stoma group in 2017. It tells you about the benefits you could be entitled to. I guess some of you are already claiming these but as the weather is colder, I just want people to know about the Warm Home Discount. 

With kindness,

Lisa xxx

Hi all,

I thought I would tell you about the benefits you could be entitled to.

Warm Home Discount.

If your total household income is £16,000 or less or receive PIP, DWP, Attendence Allowance or State Pension, you could be entitled to the Warm Home Discount.

It is a one off payment of £140.00, which is credited to your electricity account/bill. It also applies to Pay-As-You meters. You just contact your electricity supplier and ask them about the Warm Home Discount and they will do the rest.

Note: You will not be refunded the money, it is a credit on your electricity account regardless how you pay. It is not "Christmas shopping money". And neither is it your money. It is money paid from the government to help those who need it.

It is ONLY credited to your electricity account as everyone has electricity. You cannot transfer it to your gas account.

Age doesn't come into it. If you qualify you get it. 

Personal Independence Payment or PIP:

This is replacing Disability Living Allowance and you may qualify for this.

It is designed for how you deal with day to day activities, such as:  Do you need help with a shower or a wash? Do you need to be reminded to take your medication? How far can you walk? Do you need help to get dressed? Can you prepare meals/food? These are some of the questions I can remember. It's not so much about what is wrong with you or how ill you have been, it's about how you cope and how you need help.

You apply by contacting the PIP people themselves directly on 0800 917 2222. Please be sure to have your National Insurance Number and bank account detalls with you. The bank details are taken at this point because if you qualify, the money will be paid directly and quickly.

It does take a while and if you are already in receipt of PIP or DLA, you need to reapply 6 months before it comes up for review, as the timescales are long. However, if you are successful this will be backdated to the date you applied for it.

The form is daunting and I would recommend getting help from the Citizens Advice Bureau, Macmillan and Maggie's. Your local hospital will have a Welfare Right's Advisor and a Almoner who will help you complete the form.

ESA or Employment Support Allowance:

If you are of working age but can't work due to health issues, you could be entitled to ESA.

You need to be unemployed.

If you get ESA, it does not affect you applying for PIP or if you are in receipt of PIP or DLA.

You can apply for ESA by calling 0345 6088545.

The form is similar to PIP, so I would recommend getting help from the previous mentioned bodies.

You could also be entitled to grant from Macmillan.

Please visit www.macmillian.org.uk/macmillangrants.html

I hope you find this helpful and if you apply I wish you every success. Even if you have applied before and were unsuccessful, try again. It does not hurt and you may gain something.

Kind regards and thank you