travelling abroad

• 4 replies
  • 29 subscribers

Hi I'm 18 months post surgery, where I had most of my large colon removed due to Stage 3 bowel cancer. I didn't have a stoma but have had lots of problems with swaying between constipation and diarrhoea since the operation, although now, once I've used the toilet in the morning, that's usually, (not always)that for the day.  I've been building up my confidence to travel (in this country) and to restart activities such as yoga and swimming as I've been in such fear of losing bowel control when I'm away from home. My family now would like my husband and I to go with them to Spain and I'd love to hear from any-one in a similar position to me who has managed to do this, as I would so love to go.   

• Hi  and welcome to the Online Community, although I am sorry to see you finding us. it is great that you are looking to get out and about - this is so good for everyones overall wellbeing.

Talking with people who are on the same journey can help a lot.

I see that you have joined our very supportive Bowel (colon and rectum) cancer group as this will open up your concerns to a wider audience who know exactly what you are going through at the moment.

Just follow the link above then go to the 'Start a Discussion' tab and set up your own Discussion and introduce yourself to the group - you could just copy an paste what you have in this first post.

You may find our various Macmillan Support Line Services to be helpful - call them on 0808 808 00 00 This free service covers Emotional Support, Practical Information. Clinical Information, Financial Support and Work Guidance mostly open 8.00 to 8.00 but check the link.

We also have our ‘Ask an Expert’. section where you can post questions to our mostly Volunteer Experts but please allow 2 working days to get a reply.

Travel Insurance is very important so THIS thread in our Travel Insurance forum can give you some first hand experience as to how others have got on.

All the very best.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Thanks for the welcome Mike. I'll try posting in the group although I am a bit of a techno pleb - wasn't sure whether to or not. 

Susieq2
  • lol......... have a go as you won’t break the Community.

The site has a lot of information and does take some time to navigate but once you get a hang of it you will find it very helpful and supportive.

Please note that the position of links will vary depending on what type of device you are using.

We have 64 support groups that are Cancer specific and 35 are general Cancer experience where folks support and talk around various subject. Follow the green links and have a look at the lists.

Once you find a group(s) you think you could get support or give support in, join the group.

To do this hit the ‘Join the Group’ tab just under the main group name. At this point it is good to go to the right on the group home page and select how you want to receive email notifications when someone answers your posts. If in the future you don’t want to receive notifications just switch off the email notifications tab.

You can look through all the discussions in the forum by hitting the ‘Discussions’ tab. This is next to the ‘Latest Activity’ tab where you will see all the latest group posts in the order they have come in.

The best way to get support is to go to the 'Start a Discussion' tab just under the main group name.

Set up a Discussion, introduce yourself to the group or ask your questions.

If you want to reply to a post go to the bottom of that post and hit the ‘Reply’ tab in the blue box.

This posts on the group threads run in order of when the post was put up so it is always good to put the name of the person you are replying to at the start e.g. Hi (Mike) Thehighlander so they know you are replying to them.

If you want to change a post - go to the bottom of the post - hit ‘More’ and it will give you the options to ‘Edit’ or ‘Delete’ your post.

A quick way to find all your old posts is to klick on YOUR username where you will find your profile. Look for ‘My Lates Activity’ hit this and it will show all the posts you have put up on the site.

If you get stuck just come back and aI will help you out.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Thehighlander , thanks for sharing those support line services. I would also like to travel in some European countries as soon as all these quarantine restrictions would go away. Do you know websites where you can get airline tickets in few clicks? I've recently discovered this one called  airbusinessclass.com and it seems like it's the most popular resource on the web, which allows to find any destinations you need.